SS 4.6 breakin question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leslie

Hi all,

My husband just finished his 4.6 build. We were reading the motor breakin instructions and they imply that you want to idle the first tank with the radio off and the carb set (manually) to a quarter open.

Can this be right?? I come from the planks/heli world and I would never start the engine with the radio off.

Looking for some sanity here...

Thanks, in advance (more questions to come)
Leslie

I just idled my engine up with the radio, and left it against the wall to run. once it was empty, then I continued the break in according to the instructions, then I tuned for performance. But yeah, I have seen too many trucks take off when the radio was off, so mine is always on when it is running.

i idled a tank through my 4.6 without the radio on. i had it securley raised off the ground so even if the throttle servo got knocked WO the truck wouldn't go anywhere. I guess with a heli if some thing happened to open up the throttle and the radio wasn't on its a bit more dangerous than a truck.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have him go with the radio on approach. I just can't bring myself to power up with the radio off. Years of the heli thing, is a habit to hard to break.

I agree a heli with 3000rpm blades is a different beast, but I don't want to be chasing this earthbound beast either.

Thanks!!

Cheer,
Leslie

1/4 open carburator is not good for the first gas tank.
I would just let it idle at low acceleration I think the carb open 1.5mm is fine.
Just use the remote to accelerate just enough to keep it running at idle.

Latest posts

Members online

Back