Spur gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRock

WHY THE HECK DO I KEEP STRUIPPING MY DANG SPUR GEAR!!!!!!! HAPPEND EVERY TIME I RUN!!!!!! motor mount is tight, screws holding motor to the mount is tight everything is tight, and I know my mesh is good.................here comes a steel spur........

well i don't normally strip spur gears that often you see, so if all the things you said were true, about things being tight, then there should be no problem. But if the spur gear is stripping then there is obviously a problem own the line. Actually i'm not too sure if this is possible or not but i'm thinking that maybe your brakes are set way way too tight causing it to be alot harder on the gearing between the brakes and the engine. so check that maybe but you should know right away cause the wheels will be locked, don't think that's possible though. But as i was saying, i don't think that you should get a steel spur gear if your keep stripping them the way you are, the reason being is that if you put the steel spur gear in then you have no fail safe for something being terribly wrong down the line, so you could snap dog bones, strip tranny gears, break motor mount plates, etc. so if i were you i wouldn't get that until you figure out why you keep striping the spur gears.

Well I understand the concern of not getting a metal gear but my dads buggy has a metal gear in it and when it does come loose you can tell because it makes a different sound.........I am going to take it apart and recheck everything but I checked it before I ran today because I had to put a pullstart on it. Only thing I can thing of is the motor plate, the 2 screw holes that the 2 screws go in from the tranny because I know those are basically just their and they never really get tight.

Thanks

are the clutches dragging in the bell. If so they will heat it up and cause the spur to strip. Also make sure your top shaft and crank are not bent. That would cause it as well. One last thing, do stay in teh throttle off landings.

I just nailed the throttle one hard time in the yard and it stripped, had enough left to drive it slowly back to the house

As I'm reading your guys post here I never once read that any one changed the little nut. The Nylock part of the nut is really only good for one time IMO.
I build big machines for a living and even at that level I would'nt re use a nylock nut. Just asking> Hope you getter fixed.

Too tight? what gears are you running? if the whole assembly is correct. and the gear is getting tore up by the clutch bell sounds likeyour mesh is off. can you post a pick of the Gear thats wasted?

OK...you say you have a steel spur gear, right? If so, That means that you would have had to get a steel clutch bell to use it, right? One thing for sure, If you didn't get a steel CB, then you definatly DON'T want to install a steel spur gear until you have a steel CB in place. Now...If you had your steel CB/Spur combination installed at one time, and then you removed the spur gear. Did you remember to also remove the steel CB?....IF NOT....That would definately be your problem. Steel CB's eat standard spur gears like Opra eats cheese cake....And that's no joke. I think you know what to do now, if this is the case.

Latest posts

Members online

Back