Spur Gear upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taz86

Hey again guys
So I have changed 2 spur gears since I have my car and the thing is I also see other cars with a steel spur gear.
I have asked the dealer if it's good to have a steel one.
Well he told me that if I change it to steel I also need to change the clutch bell to steel.

Not sure why because there is a steel clutch bell in the car no?
Anyway can you recommend what type of steel spur gear I should upgrade to?
I know the car needs a gear type with 47t.
If you can send me an eBay link for the best spur gear it would be great ;)
Thanks all ;)

What kind of car do you have? A savage? I like the stock savage xss stuff, never had a problem even with the 5.9 engine. The xl probably comes with good hardened steel too.

Well I have a Savage X 4.6
I think I will upgrade it to steel because I don't want to keep changing this spur gear from time to time..
It's the second gear I replace and I only have the car for about a month.
Anyway the robinson gear looks nice.

Also it does matters how much tooths you change to right?
If your stock gear is 47 you cant put 48t or 52t?
Thanks ;)

Well that depends what you want If you want speed you drop teeth on the spur and up teeth on the clutch bell. And if you want more low end for like big tires more teeth on the spur and less teeth on the clutch bell. I was told recently that 48t spur and 16t bell Is a pretty well rounded gearing. The stock gearing with stock tires is pretty good shouldn't have a problem. But yes you can change it but depending how high or low you go, you will eventually need to change the bell if you you go 52t spur your 17 clutch bell wont mesh well, make sure your mesh is right as well even with metal can still mess up the gears. Hope I explained that we'll enough..lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that depends what you want If you want speed you drop teeth on the spur and up teeth on the clutch bell. And if you want more low end for like big tires more teeth on the spur and less teeth on the clutch bell. I was told recently that 48t spur and 16t bell Is a pretty well rounded gearing. The stock gearing with stock tires is pretty good shouldn't have a problem. But yes you can change it but depending how high or low you go, you will eventually need to change the bell if you you go 52t spur your 17 clutch bell wont mesh well, make sure your mesh is right as well even with metal can still mess up the gears. Hope I explained that we'll enough..lol.

Okay,
Is there any more gears for the model?

On my Savage X it came with the Robinson 48 tooth hard spur and the 16 tooth hardened bell you need the hardened bell and spur as a pair, the stock bell will not last too long on the hardened spur... My truck wheelies on dirt all the time so going with those gears outta get ya all the speed and stuff you want....

On my Savage X it came with the Robinson 48 tooth hard spur and the 16 tooth hardened bell you need the hardened bell and spur as a pair, the stock bell will not last too long on the hardened spur... My truck wheelies on dirt all the time so going with those gears outta get ya all the speed and stuff you want....

So if you add thooths to spur you go down with the clutch tooths
Same if you want to add tooths to clutch? You go down with spur?

How can I check the spur and clutch tooths number in my car?
Thanks.

Some are marked with tooth count, some are not. if not, counting is the only way I know....
Yeah I know haha but I meant it like without taking off the parts or without counting.
Thought maybe in the manual there is info.

Okay guys thanks alot ;)

u don't have to change the # of teeth on the clutch every time u change the # of teeth on the spur. u just have to re-mount the engine. I ve ran 47 and 48t with the same clutch.

u don't have to change the # of teeth on the clutch every time u change the # of teeth on the spur. u just have to re-mount the engine. I ve ran 47 and 48t with the same clutch.

I see the thing is that the shop dealer saying this.
When I put steel gear the clutch gear will get broken after some time because I have to change it to a better steel one.

Thanks

Hey guys
How much time the steel spur gear will last?
Also the clutch bell, if I will install steel one how much time it will last?

And what gears I should get for the clutch bell and spur?
HPI or Robinson?

And another question
If I upgrade spur and clutch bell gears I will also need to upgrade somethings later no?
Because I saw a guy that upgraded the spur and clutch bell and than he upgraded the transmission gears also to better ones.

Thanks

Hey guys
How much time the steel spur gear will last?
Also the clutch bell, if I will install steel one how much time it will last?

And what gears I should get for the clutch bell and spur?
HPI or Robinson?

I have the Robinson gears on mine and after quite a few tanks they show no wear at all......
Like anything else they can be destroyed but they far outlast plastic gears by far.....

I have the Robinson gears on mine and after quite a few tanks they show no wear at all......
Like anything else they can be destroyed but they far outlast plastic gears by far.....
Thats great man
So Robinson is good you say?
How about the GPM gears?

Also what gear can last 1 year?
I met someone that put steel and told me it last a year for him.
The steel one should be from a good company I also prefer from HPI and what do you say Robinson is better than HPI?
Because I don't want for example that if the plastic gear last for example 10 tanks and a steel will last 15 than its not worth.
But if for example the Robinson or HPI last 40 or more tanks than its worth it.

What do you say?

Some of the other spurs out there (integy and a couple others) are thinner than the robinson gears, I prefer the robinson because is a bit wider making for a better contact patch with the bell.... I have heard of the robinson gears outlasting the truck so I wouldn't worry about longevity at all.... as long as you have the mesh set right and check it every so often I am confident that going with a 16 bell and a 48 spur will give you all the fun you can have....

Okay sounds good for me
The thing is on eBay I see the Robinson sour but no one boought it 0_0

Maybe you can give me a good seller that many bought from?

Also does robinson makes clutch bell also?
I think I will go with 48 and 16 like you say..

I think due to the spur and bell upgrade I will have to upgrade other parts no?
Such as transmission gears no?
Thanks

Or Jam can you send me the eBay links to your gears?
I mean any robinson 16t bell will fit the savage?
Or any robinson 48t spur will fit?

The second and the last are the same links no Jam?
And tell me what I do with that paper slipper when getting hardened spur?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Savage-...260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5672bc019c
Ya sorry I messed up that link, look at that one it is correct.... as for the slipper pad yes you will need one of those also..... it goes on the gear backside in the recesses for it......

here is a link to ceramic slipper pads have not tried them yet on my truck but they do look like they will take plenty of power and hold better than the stock pads do....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-...238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e69bd21e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Savage-...260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5672bc019c
Ya sorry I messed up that link, look at that one it is correct.... as for the slipper pad yes you will need one of those also..... it goes on the gear backside in the recesses for it......

here is a link to ceramic slipper pads have not tried them yet on my truck but they do look like they will take plenty of power and hold better than the stock pads do....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-...238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e69bd21e
So I cant use the old slipper right?
Have to get new slipper too..?

No you do not have to get the robinson slipper.... just get the ceramic pads I linked and they will be fine, the old slipper pad will probably stick to the gear and tear so getting a new one is recommended.......

No you do not have to get the robinson slipper.... just get the ceramic pads I linked and they will be fine, the old slipper pad will probably stick to the gear and tear so getting a new one is recommended.......
Great man
Thank you very much you really helped me ;)
I am gonna buy the combo and that new slipper you sent.
In the new spur gear it have a place to stick the slipper right?

Last edited:
Great man
Thank you very much you really helped me ;(
I am gonna buy the combo and that new slipper you sent.
In the new spur gear it have a place to stick the slipper right?

No problem Taz, that's what we are here for... and yes there is a machined recess in that spur for the new slipper pad to go into.....

Latest posts

Members online

Back