Spur Gear + Clutch Bell... Nitro Mess...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nirril

Hi Everyone,

Just want to say that i checked out the forums, and i found out some information that i guess is interesting... but out of this, i want to know from your experience, what's the best ratio for each scenario...

1st of all, my Savage is brand new, and so far, i busted 2 spur gears... i am running the out of the box combo that came with the truck, so 17/47.

The 1st Spur i busted, was by my own fault... i didn't check the spur gear lock nut, and it was loose, so my 1st spur and slipper pad melted and it started to spin freely until it wasn't going forward at all... so i replaced the spur with another 47T... which was perfect for bashing in the sand and on gravel... not a big willie king, but it was going fine...

Until the day i decided to go bash in a park on grass... then the 47T on the spur melted because the CB would spin and heat the whole thing and it just melted the whole Spur to a complete stop... i know my mesh was perfect, because that particular morning, i adjusted the slipper pad to make sure the nut was tighted all the way down minus one half turn... and after that, i checked the mesh, and it was perfect.

Now, i am again replacing my 47T with a brand new one... but i would like to get your opinions on which combo works best on which surface:

17/47 - Sounds perfect for some top speed on asphalt/concrete, but suffer low end torque and doesn't do big willies...
17/47 - Bashing in a DRY sand pit and some gravel road was running perfect... never had any slip, gearing was not too hot, never melted anything...

Now i got myself a 49T and a 52T... but the LHS didn't had any CB... but i am thinking of getting a 13 and 15 CB....

I guess the combo 13/52 would be best on grass, because i just want the power to accelerate but don't care of the top speed on grass...

The following chart is what i found around... but it doesn't really say which are possible (i know of at least 4 that are not possible without a mod by reading here).

What i would like to know is your experience with those ratio's and surface you were running on... and the result...

From my experience... 17/47 on grass is a money pit... in 10min you will just melt down the spur...

17/47 on Dry sand/gravel is ok and it's also ok on asphalt and concrete...

What is your experience on this?

17/47 is too high for all surfaces IMO
I run 16/49 and it the perfect ratio for all around bashing on grass, dirt, street, gravel,sand, whatever.
Doesn't overheat the CB as long as the mesh is good. Set the mesh so that it just starts binding a little bit then back it off just a HARE

17/47 is too high for all surfaces IMO
I run 16/49 and it the perfect ratio for all around bashing on grass, dirt, street, gravel,sand, whatever.
Doesn't overheat the CB as long as the mesh is good. Set the mesh so that it just starts binding a little bit then back it off just a HARE

Just curious, but what does a rabbit have to do with gear mesh? :hardlaugh:

OK, but the Robinson`s Racing 16/48 combo you are talking about is for another Savage... they have their own part numbers for the Savage X 4.6

Now, i am not running any steel gear on the spur... i am using the original HPI spur gears... are you guys suggesting that it would be better for me to upgrade to Steel spur gear?

In that matter, this would be the right page, and i guess the right combo would be:

- 7248 Savage X 48 Tooth Hardened Steel Spur Gear
- 7016 Savage 2.1 thru 5.9 XL - 16 tooth Extra-Hard Steel Clutchbell

This would get me a ratio of 3.06 with 16/48 instead of 2.74 with 17/47?

The gears for the savage 21, 25, and X are all the same. I told you to buy what I did because they give you a "package deal" in that case for buying the spur and clutch bell together. You save $3.95.

This would get me a ratio of 3.06 with 16/48 instead of 2.74 with 17/47?

48 divided by 16 = 3.00

47 divided by 17 = 2.76

48 divided by 16 = 3.00

47 divided by 17 = 2.76
Can the Savage X 4.6 run a 47 /16?
The recommended
HPI Savage X 4.6 GEN3 Slipper Unit - 47 teeth 1.0 Module steel spur gear/slipper pad/backplate/bearing
I was curious what bell I should get with that gear.
16 would be better than the stock 17 right? Or should I leave it at 17.

Can the Savage X 4.6 run a 47 /16?
The recommended
HPI Savage X 4.6 GEN3 Slipper Unit - 47 teeth 1.0 Module steel spur gear/slipper pad/backplate/bearing
I was curious what bell I should get with that gear.
16 would be better than the stock 17 right? Or should I leave it at 17.

You can run 47/16 but if you don't have the 16t clutchbell yet, then I suggest not even buying it because that's not much of a noticeable performance from the stock 47/17 setup. You won't even tell the difference. What are you looking for? more bottom end or top end?

Imo, its better to buy the HPI heavy duty spur gear / HPI vented clutchbell and tighten up the stock slipper clutch instead..this would cost you half the price of the RR Gen 3 slipper unit.

You can run 47/16 but if you don't have the 16t clutchbell yet, then I suggest not even buying it because that's not much of a noticeable performance from the stock 47/17 setup. You won't even tell the difference. What are you looking for? more bottom end or top end?

Imo, its better to buy the HPI heavy duty spur gear / HPI vented clutchbell and tighten up the stock slipper clutch instead..this would cost you half the price of the RR Gen 3 slipper unit.

I have the Gen 3 spur coming for free to me for my troubles on my new machine spur gear breaking on initial break in, but they told me i need to buy a HD Bell. I was thinking the 16 for better low end for climbing hills with. My logic is more low end torque would mean better acceleration for the hills. What do you think? Just get a 17 bell instead of the 16?
the 48/16 most people like is only .06 better than the 47/16

I have the Gen 3 spur coming for free to me for my troubles on my new machine spur gear breaking on initial break in, but they told me i need to buy a HD Bell. I was thinking the 16 for better low end for climbing hills with. My logic is more low end torque would mean better acceleration for the hills. What do you think? Just get a 17 bell instead of the 16?
the 48/16 most people like is only .06 better than the 47/16
16t or 17t clutchbell will give you good all around performance with the 47t spur. I'm personally running 47/17 and get good acceleration and can pop wheelies on demand..considering your engine is tuned properly.

Your going to have to experiment with a couple of clutchbells to find what your personal preference is, but make sure to get something that's 2 or 3 tooths apart, example: 17t and a 15t to see a difference in performance.

Latest posts

Members online

Back