Speed runs after Bashing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay F.

I posted this in the wrong section, sorry.
After some bashing with my son and a fcouple freinds, I did a couple speed runs around the block. I'm lucky that my neighbors are more fascinated than annoyed lol.
Finishing off with a few speed runs:
Finishing off with a few speed runs:

Fantastic! That truck seems really smooth (as in when you go off throttle it appears to be zero binding in the drive train. Nice job! My grandson took videos of our HPISavage yesterday and he's posting them on his video channel. I will see if he can put them on here too.

After taking my Savage completely apart, I realized all the possible points of failures in keeping a bind-free drive train (and never considered the linkage). It makes complete sense though as I'm intrigued with how the one turn of a step screw into the caliper will go from smooth coasting to 50% pressure applied. I'm trying to be proactive here (spending my adult life in medical science I need to know how things work). :doc:

Thats where the fuel tubing on the linkage helps. The throttle arm will slide back after going back to neutral but not completly pull the caliper back. I cut the tubing to fill the length of the linkage both ways.I'll take a pic in a little bit to show what I mean. Mod someone told me about

Thanks. I noticed the servos (stock) were not strong enough to move the override spring as well (I was getting that 'brake fade') after a few tanks. I realized this happening while my battery was low so it was easy to diagnose what was happening. However, I worked around it via the thumb screw and lowered the rod in the caliper. Essentially changing the torque attributes (it's here nor there the effects are the same). I guess I have been lucky as other than that the linkages have worked fine. I am interested in the effects of putting true actuators on it as others have done.

Oh....that is not what I was thinking at all. Never mind. ;-) Okay, so that is interesting. I'll ping you offline as I'd like some intel on the intent here. i.e. What issue this solves. I'd think you want the rods to actuate independently so would love to hear/see how this operates. As noted I've seen people put bushings to help actuate the rods. (I believe a few used a bearing system) and used the collars to help define the torque settings. So is this pretty much the same idea? Perhaps I did not fully understand your issue. Anyway, as noted I don't want to hijaack this thread I'll circle up with you offline to get more information. Good stuff for sure!

If you notice, on the savage linkage, the brake end has a spring. The tubing doesnt give like the spring, greatly reducing break fade. The tubing on the otherside. That one takes some of the "free play" from the throttle. What I found out on the stock setup is when I was on the break, besides the spring giving in, was the servo horn would slide over the rod for a bit before getting to that point where it was free wheeling. The tuning causes it to immediatly return to the neutral spot, or "free wheeling" position. In other words, as soon as I let iff the gas, 8t goes right to neutral

When I say throttle, I mean the transition from brake-neutral-throttle. The breaks don't fad off, they are on fully when applied and off fully as soon as you let off the gas

Thanks, Jay., One question for your (or anyone who might know)...I have some videos of my HPISavage I would like to share as well. Is it safe to assume if I put them on Facebook I can upload here? Are there any constraints on the video type (MP4 vs AVI vs MPEG, etc). I am going to create an account either on YouTube or Vimeo and share what I'm enjoying. Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Back