SOX & MARTIN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

SOX & MARTIN
!!!!!!!!! All you people that were around back in the 70s will remember that this was the team to beat. They ran in Stock, Super Stock, Pro Stock and I think they were starting to give Funny Car a shot in the early days of the class. (might have been AFX) In any event, being a died in the wool Drag Racing fan, I thought I'd try to build a " what if they ran a Monster Truck today" tribute. This truck was for a Nitro, so I cut some lexan, shot it with the carbon fiber technique and covered it up. I used my vinyl cutter to make the Sox & Martin and other stickers and I printed the Sponsor decals on an ink jet printer on clear sticker paper.

Greg looks nice and clean! Love the fiber look in the bed.... How is that done, paint or sheet of carbon fiber

Greg looks nice and clean! Love the fiber look in the bed.... How is that done, paint or sheet of carbon fiber
Thanks Gav,
That is done with Paint. I used Faskolor Charcoal Pearl and Solid Black FasPearl. The process itself is fairly easy. I cut a piece of Lexan to fit the bed, layed a piece of drawer liner over it, and spayed 3 coats of the Charcoal Pearl thru the exposed holes. After it's dry, remove the liner, and spray with Black. I bought the drawer liner at the dollar store, but I'm sure you can find it at Walmart, or hardware stores, etc. It is a little more difficult to do inside a body, you just have to cut it to size and be sure it doesn't move between coats. You can use a hair dryer to speed the drying process between coats, just be sure not to blow your drawer liner out of position. remember the direction you paint so that you can paint the same on each of the first coats of Charcoal Pearl. I usually go left to right, top to bottom.

Mask off your body and do the Carbon Fiber painting first. Everything else will probably be lighter, so it won't effect the bed (or wherever you want to put it.) I'm thinking I will try a hood on something soon. Practice on the inside of half a soda bottle and see how to do it. It isn't difficult, and you'll love the results. The drawer liner should still be soft after it dries and you can re use it.

Have fun, and good luck!

Greg
MACHMAN

Thanks Gav,
That is done with Paint. I used Faskolor Charcoal Pearl and Solid Black FasPearl. The process itself is fairly easy. I cut a piece of Lexan to fit the bed, layed a piece of drawer liner over it, and spayed 3 coats of the Charcoal Pearl thru the exposed holes. After it's dry, remove the liner, and spray with Black. I bought the drawer liner at the dollar store, but I'm sure you can find it at Walmart, or hardware stores, etc. It is a little more difficult to do inside a body, you just have to cut it to size and be sure it doesn't move between coats. You can use a hair dryer to speed the drying process between coats, just be sure not to blow your drawer liner out of position. remember the direction you paint so that you can paint the same on each of the first coats of Charcoal Pearl. I usually go left to right, top to bottom.

Mask off your body and do the Carbon Fiber painting first. Everything else will probably be lighter, so it won't effect the bed (or wherever you want to put it.) I'm thinking I will try a hood on something soon. Practice on the inside of half a soda bottle and see how to do it. It isn't difficult, and you'll love the results. The drawer liner should still be soft after it dries and you can re use it.

Have fun, and good luck!

Greg
MACHMAN
Wow thanks Greg. The fact that it is paint makes it all the more challenging. I'll have to give it a go.

Thanks again

Gav, I just uploaded directions for the Carbon fiber...probably easier to understand/with pictures and step by step

Reactions: Gav
Looks like I only got two of the three pics, but they should be in the bucket. I just tried the link I gave you for the Green Ford...worked for me... try again. Anyway, once you get in the bucket, just check the library, it will come up. Looks like the paint pages are out of order, but you can figure it out, steps are numbered. Sorry about the quality, but my scanner just took a crap, and I had to take pics with my camera to get them on for ya. What a guy!!!

Last edited:
Looks like I only got two of the three pics, but they should be in the bucket. I just tried the link I gave you for the Green Ford...worked for me... try again. Anyway, once you get in the bucket, just check the library, it will come up. Looks like the paint pages are out of order, but you can figure it out, steps are numbered. Sorry about the quality, but my scanner just took a crap, and I had to take pics with my camera to get them on for ya. What a guy!!!
Greg you've given me some great info thanks. I will try the link again

Greg you've given me some great info thanks. I will try the link again
Hey Gav, The only pic of the wood bed and my ford truck is on the photo section here, but they took out all but one. I think the entire slide show will show if you select it. I just finished masking my Sox & Martin Challenger, and am getting ready to paint. I will post in a day or so in the car section. I'll let you know. Gonna try to put carbon fiber on the spoiler, but it looks like it may be a little difficult to get up into it. We'll see.

Nice job on your truck Greg!! I wouldn't want to drive it with that body on it though looks like u put a lot of time in it I'd be afraid of messing it up!!

Unfortunately, I paint more than I drive. I've got new cars that have never seen the outdoors. Crazy huh.:D

Latest posts

Members online

Back