SOULJA's SMART midtank for UNDER $30!!! SSOOOO Simple you NEVER thought about it!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulja

Virginia Beach Beast
guy.....I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT!!everyone wants a GOOD midtank for as CHEAP as they can do it......and i was bored in the house today while my son was sleep and just started staring at my two savages. i knew i want to do a midtank on the race savage.....so i was trying to figure out how i wanted it done. i transferred GLOBS of parts for the new X SS kit to the old SS kit. among the parts i put on the "basher" savage was the new X style bellcranks (the old ss just uses two regular posts....you have to use a servo saver on the servo instead of the right side post being a servo saver...the new bellcranks are MUCH better!) and the new style savage X EZ radio box. the new radio box also very quick access to the radio equipment with just one turn of a knob. the old style uses 3 mini body clips that hold the top old....and anyone with previous savage experience from old skool savages will tell you once you get them in.....they aren't coming out without a fight! while staring at the two and doing some measuring....i found the stock tank can fit right between the old school savage 25 battery box and those pins would be PERFECT to hold the top down and keep i still somewhat weather tight. so.....with my trusty sidekick Dremel.....we began on this journey!

here's the Savage 21/25/SS (old Skool) box
Picture993.jpg

Picture995.jpg

with a little measuring and cutting....she will sit in there perfect and low!
Picture994.jpg

first thing i did was measure the bottom of the lowest part f the tank and began cutting out that spot. after i finished...i sanded all the high spot smooth
Picture998.jpg

Picture999.jpg

Picture997.jpg

next i sat the tank in the box and began to mark where the top will be
Picture996.jpg

i cut that out and sat here in there....and PERFECT! keep in mind the bellcrank screws can still be accessed with the tank in....the steering servo is in its stock position......the box are still in the box to screw it in from the side........and the top is still held on by the push pins! i will be permanently mounting this is with some plastic kneading epoxy, some double sided tape (for the stock of the tank k=hitting the sides), some screws and orings (to not let the tank be mounted to the screws...but to give it shock/jolt protection).
Picture1004.jpg

Picture1003.jpg

Picture1002.jpg

Picture1000.jpg

all you really need for this conversion is:
Ofna Linkage Kit
flat piece of small scrap metal
FLM servo mounts
plastic epoxy
Savage 25 battery box.

more to come......i gotta eat! man this was simple and less than an hour!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a hand and glove fit. Too simple.

guys....it just hit me like a bolt of lightning! can't do it with the stock EZ access box.......just too flimsy and wont' hold the top secure. the old batt box is the way to go! abd....yes that's a 3 speed.

I'm gonna clean up all the plastic flash and mount the throttle servo so you can see it with out the engine. the ERCM Picco & pipe is on the way.....

a full thread is coming up soon...when the engine gets here.

Nice work man! What about HTL though? I thought that was one of the main reasons to do a mid tank, unless your building a racer or something where balance is more critical.

is that a 3 speed?

Nice work Matt!

I have a question. What is the all the obsession with a "mid tank"? I have never understood it.

joey......for a modified motor...it is a MUST. the half-tank lean that savages are known for is completely eliminated. the truck holds a tune so much better.....an the temps stay regulated. plus....is gives a brand new attitude with the way the truck drives because it evens out out the weight. i won't have a race truck without a mid tank after the first one i did. even one i do gets better and better....i almost have it refined perfectly!

joey......for a modified motor...it is a MUST. the half-tank lean that savages are known for is completely eliminated. the truck holds a tune so much better.....an the temps stay regulated. plus....is gives a brand new attitude with the way the truck drives because it evens out out the weight. i won't have a race truck without a mid tank after the first one i did. even one i do gets better and better....i almost have it refined perfectly!

the three speed has a slightly lower first sb.....i think i may be one of the only guys that has never messed up a trans with and Extreme modded motor!!

Cool! I used the stock radio box on my 25's budget midtank too and thought I was being lazy and cheep LoL
Thanks for lifting my spirits :)

Here is the link-->>25's budget midtank

On mine I changed the tank to a Hot Bodies buggy tank though because I thought the shelf in the tank was one of the problems on the "half tank lean" on top of the height of the tank vs carb.

I was going to cut the cover but instead made a plate to go around it because I needed a place to put the receiver

Total cost of this one was $3 for a new on-off switch.

vv--Here are a few pics of mine--vv
DSCN1453small.jpg

DSCN1448small.jpg

Thanks for the pics Matt!

EDIT:

Matt, looks like the battery will still fit in the same spot, but what are your plans for the receiver? I didn't see a box for it on our parts list?

to be honest tex i think i have enough room to put the RX and battery in front of the tank. i will check today and post tonight when i get home from work.......

i would think based on the pics that the RX would fit (tightly) in the front of that box... Be sure to put it in a balloon or something - since the box is now open, you are sure to have dirt/dust/water/debris going into that box and onto the RX...

Bob

i think it was more of the position of the tank than the tank itself......i've done a mid tank with the stock tank before and moved the position and never had any problems with the half tank lean.

i think it was nore so of the position of the tank than the tank itself......i'll done a midtank with the stock tank before and moved the postion and never had any problems with the half tank lean.

sorry about the typos.....at home on lunch and read it when i got back to work!!!

OK, I wonder if you could raise the height of the tank in the the stock location to get a similar effect. I guess it wouldn't be as sturdy and possibly be more vulnerable in a crash as well.

lol Matt we did this years ago. I had two of them I gave away to Jeremy back in the day. I don't think he ever installed them.

Good thread this is the cheapest way ... I do like you cut the top lid too. Mine just got thrown out. But I did them with X boxes too. not the .25 stuff ...

thanks sadsack. tonight i will be trying to get the linkages ready 2nite

I don't want to hear try ...... do it foo

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back