Soulja's Fix for CVD pin slippage w/ pics & VIDEO!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulja

Virginia Beach Beast
a lot of us have CVDs....whether is in your Savage, Baja, Rampage, or anything else that has or you have added cvds to. well....while out running my Rampage MT.....i noticed the front left wheel locked up......never hit anything...but the wheel just wouldn't move at at. i picked up the wheel and moved it again and it was fine...put the truck down and ran it again and it did it again! after a close inspection....i noticed that the pin in the CVD had come out and broke. i ordered anther set of $50 CVDs Sunday and they just came in. after looking at the new ones.....i noticed that the pin was moving in that one too. i've raced Savages for about the last 5 years or so....and i went to a remedy i came up with. all you need is a piece of Napa NW 727633 heat shrink for 2/0 cable (you make need something smaller if you are doing small CVDs...but the rampage axles are pretty thick), some scissors, and a lighter or heat gun. first, cut the heat shrink in as many pieces as you need. clean the CVD good first, and them place the heat shrink over the cup. make sure the pin is centered........heat.......and you're done. i don't know about other heat shrinks but this napa one has a glue inside. i usually heat mine until a fine line of glue is on the outside......and you won't have problems with a slipping cvd pin anymore. on the trampage MT & TTs, you can use HPI Baja boots to cover them. i usually please grease on the inside before i do it. small truck truck owners can use Dynamite CVD boots. guaranteed fix ....and if you want to service them.....you can scrape the shrink off and redo the joints.

here is the broken one
Picture1070.jpg

and step by step pics
Picture1062.jpg

Picture1063.jpg

Picture1064.jpg

Picture1066.jpg

Picture1068.jpg

and for those of you that need video.....here is one i put together
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f5kH50k99AI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f5kH50k99AI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I used to use a drop of solder on my CVD's back in the day.

I found the pin would work its way through the heat shrink eventually.

you probably used cheap heat shrink without the glue. i've never had a problem with this...as long as good heat shrink was used.

It is a great idea, don't get me wrong.

I was just pointing out an alternative. :resp:

i ran the rampage today with no problems. as a matter of fact...i took a NASTY little tumbler.......came in and check the truck out .....and absolutely no damage. no bent or broken pins.......no scared , ripped or torn heat shrink...and a few little pebble were at the cvds too. Napa heat shrink is the BOMB.

Latest posts

Members online

Back