sorta new 2 rc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantera-x

Hey every1 I'm fairly new 2 rc I've had a few electric back in the day but I bought a nitro savage x 4.1 I've done bought a new body shell it's the charger 1 and adjustable uppers and heavy duty axle dog bones and I'm getting a clocked novarossi 28-7rt but just wondering what all else should I get to make it just the most awesome ever

So you have little to no nitro experience ? I would say run the truck stock as it comes out of the box and learn all you can about how to tune and when you think you have enough experience then is time to upgrade.... if you jump in too fast you are setting up for disappointment at the very least

That clocked nova sure will be a sweet mill in a savage, like above just run the truck and let it tell you.
I would just check all transmission and driveline bearings and and make sure diffs and trans are shimmed right for all that nova power
And have fun finding out what the truck wants or needs.

K thanks so pretty much only replace what breaks! I've noticed that it's sluggish in turning so I'm wanting 2 upgrade the steering servo and it takes awhile 2 stop so better brakes is a must, I ran it into a fence post and broke a lower arm cause the truck got out of range after checking the system out it was a old am radio so I upgraded 2 a spectrum 2.4 dx2e I repaired the arm for now trying 2 decide which 1's I want to exchange 2, any advice? The truck was used when I bought it cause the closest Hobby shop is 1hr away and they didn't have a very good variety of nitro mt they only had a couple t-max and a few buggies. I had a t-max before which I traded my nitro plane 4 and had nothing but problems with it so got rid of and started missing my plane.So when I said kinda new I meant to nitro cars I did have my plane it came with a os engine and Futuba electronic

Last edited:
well, depends on what u want to spend. if u are willing to pay the price, any savox. for me, however, I have a hitec hs-645mg for steering and a futaba s3305 for throttle/brake. both are about 30$ each. however, u said that ur sterring is sluggish. there's acouple of things that u can do. first, make sure servo saver is tightened all the way. 2: make sure that nothing in the sterring linkage is binding or bent. 3: make sure that dual rates are on. for the brakes,make sure the the servo horn is tight, u can also ajust the brakes. u can ajust servo endpoints, or u can turn that little plastic screw type thing at the end of the linage near the servo horn. I also replaced that little spring with a peace of fuel tubing. one more thing that I would do is get a rechargeable hump pack to replace the aa's. it will get much more power to ur servos

I agree with the rest of the guys in that you should drive it and replace as necessary, but there are a few things that to me are musts to make your driving experience better.

1. Better steering servo
2. tighten servo saver down all the way
3. install HPI wheelie bar (if you haven't already)
4. install HPI X style roll cage and engine hoop (if you haven't already)
5. 6V hump pack for your receiver
6. Ofna linkage mod:
thread with a couple good pics of the ofna mod:
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/fxstrongsides-linkage-preference.1832/

get one or two of these kits to setup the Ofna linkage mod:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBM06

The linkage and hump pack will significantly help your steering and braking capabilities.

BTW, welcome to the site pantera-x! Make sure you post up as you upgrade your savage, we all like build threads.

BTW, welcome to the site pantera-x! Make sure you post up as you upgrade your savage, we all like build threads.
Thanks for the welcome and the info.I will definitely keep updated and the $ basically isnt really a problem c I'm a recovering addict cause of where I had 2 go 2 pain clinic 4 bout 5yrs over my back so I found me a hobby this hobby 2 help out with my recovery I ain't bought a wheelie bar yet but I have sorta made 1 4 now I'm gonna try 2 figure out how 2 post pics I'm posting from my mobile phone but again thanxs 2 all replies

Last edited:
WELCOME to the best addiction a person could have, they aint cheap but still are the best thing one can get into.... any questions you have feel free to ask, many good guys here willing to help if they can.....

WELCOME to the best addiction a person could have, they aint cheap but still are the best thing one can get into.... any questions you have feel free to ask, many good guys here willing to help if they can.....
Again thanx my goal is I'm gonna get both my kids 1 also and I've got 81/2 acres of land that I'm not using at the time it's my hunting land so I'm wanting 2 build a track so we can have fun as a family I've got a track already blue printed it has 8 ft lanes jumps bumps figure 8 and few other little tricks that I think will b a blast 2 run I'm wantin as much aluminum and Titanium parts as possible, I've seen a lot of people trash talking Integy so was wondering what is a good company I don't plan on extreme jumps so I'm not worried bout bending part's really I'm more or less building a racing savage more for speed, I'm looking into the 3 speed tranny and I seen that the servo s that I like is high power I'm thinking of building my own hump pack somewhere round 7.0volts I'm also ordering a bearing kit.i haven't decided on what tuned pipe 2 put on the clocked nova I want a good rounded power band.i also just ordered a fuel filter with primer I'm hoping it fits cause it for octane engines I'm also putting a 8 oz sealed plane fuel tank because of the HTl issue I have 1 with clunk that went 2 my plane where I put a 12 oz on it .I also looked at the big bore shock kits.and shout out 2 the ofna throttle mod I'm gonna have 2 go put money on card 2 order it thanx it looks like it definitely will help.on the servos should I go core less or brushless ?

well first off do not make that 7 volt receiver pack, most receivers only use 6 volts.... any quality 5 cell hump pack will be fine long as it is over 1600 mah..... as for the integy questions, most of their stuff is good, hubs, and stuff are a good addition, just remember any part you make stronger will just break something else down the chain, arms like RPM parts are a great investment...just so you know that octane filter may not work caz is for a gasoline engine, glow fuels will possibly cause the thing to fail due to the alcohol and nitro being corrosive best off with one specifically for glow service... as for servos as long as they make 200 ozin or more they should be fine, coreless digital ones are the ones to use....

and I do not recommend using an airplane type tank for it either, just look around and do something like a midtank conversion, you will be happier in the long run i think.... I am using the stock savage tank and have no problems with it at all....
either way good luck and enjoy yourself... the track sounds like some serious fun...

On to that pipe choice, I would talk to novarossi where you plan on getting the engine and buy what they recommend for exhaust duties, the ERCM pipe is a good pipe, talk to Robin at ERCM on his recommendation on what to go with, you don't want to pay for something that is gonna not work well.....

oooo yeah I didn't see the filter part. yeah, the octane filter is a petrol filter, u will get dirt in ur engine in no time. use a motorsaver. there only 15$. and they are the best filter u can get

oooo yeah I didn't see the filter part. yeah, the octane filter is a petrol filter, u will get dirt in ur engine in no time. use a motorsaver. there only 15$. and they are the best filter u can get

Pantera and Jam were talking about fuel filters........not air filters.

whoops. than get a noverossi
K thanks 4 all info the only reason I was getting the filter was for the primer and I thought that the plane tank idea might have work but oh well I was just trying 2 use stuff I have cause c I have a filling station so all I would've had 2 do is unhook line from exhaust and fill through there and it would run if on top so no having 2 run b4 it dies but I looked at the ofna 250cc tank I prob try that out I'm getting engine from clockwork racing they recommend 2 different pipes I believe they the same just 1 is thicker and they have 2 different manifolds also and oh yeah got a few of my parts n 2day yea my adjustable uppers and my heavy duty stainless axle dog bones

cGJnepo.jpg
K thanks 4 all info the only reason I was getting the filter was for the primer and I thought that the plane tank idea might have work but oh well I was just trying 2 use stuff I have cause c I have a filling station so all I would've had 2 do is unhook line from exhaust and fill through there and it would run if on top so no having 2 run b4 it dies but I looked at the ofna 250cc tank I prob try that out I'm getting engine from clockwork racing they recommend 2 different pipes I believe they the same just 1 is thicker and they have 2 different manifolds also and oh yeah got a few of my parts n 2day yea my adjustable uppers and my heavy duty stainless axle dog bones
I was saying earlier about my track that I'm working on I decided to post a pic just 2 c if I might have over designed or under or what.My father-in-law has a John deere 300 dozer it's not very big but I have access 2 it just wanting some input

Looks to be quite technical... I think you will find that a challenge to drive on....Should be alot of fun to run on with some practice...

Looks to be quite technical... I think you will find that a challenge to drive on....Should be alot of fun to run on with some practice...
Must of the jumps are gonna b plywood so can be removed if need be originally it was gonna have 8 ft lanes but I've decided 2 go with 12 ft instead for higher speed turns The walls will probably b movable also that way can change layout also its just what I've been thinking so far like I said I have 8 and a 1/2 acres 2 play with c I'm used to planes so I wanting 2 make this as interesting as I can I've done got 2 buddies from work 2 get nitro s and my brother is getting 1 next month and I'm getting both my kids 1 also but theirs will b buggies more than likely I'm thinking of going exceed 1/10 4 them cause they r 8 and 7 but they ran my t-maxx and had a blast with it my savage I've been building bout the whole time I've had it cause like I had said b4 I was buying pills now I'm buying parts just swapped to a healthier habit I guess lol I'm just 2 months clean now and feel better than ever.so I'm keeping my mind and my money on rc ' s so that I don't relapse I've actually got ting addicted 2 building my truck man its as fun as running it at least 4 me but I've always been into model cars when I was younger so that helps I think

yeah, working on rc's can be the best part. be careful about giving the kid's nitro's, my boss's boss gave his son a t-maxx, he breaks it carelessly a lot. but, he was never given any training. as long as u teach them how to drive good and carefully at first, when they get some practice, they should be pretty good drivers

yeah, working on rc's can be the best part. be careful about giving the kid's nitro's, my boss's boss gave his son a t-maxx, he breaks it carelessly a lot. but, he was never given any training. as long as u teach them how to drive good and carefully at first, when they get some practice, they should be pretty good drivers
Mine has drove my old t-maxx and didn't do 2 bad but they have some fairly quick electric rc ' s already that does bout 20mph that's why I was gonna get them some 1/10 maybe a 1/16 exceed buggy something cheap and only has a .15 or smaller so maybe they could control them, but hey good looking out that's why I joined this forum I've been reading thru on a few nitro 1's but I liked this 1 plus the fact that everything here is just 4 the truck I have is a plus

Latest posts

Members online

Back