Son's T-Maxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanQ

My son's front bearing is leaking fuel. My lhs told me this is the beginning of the end for the motor. Although he told me I could change the front bearing if I did not align the front bearing with the rear bearing the motor would be trashed. However, when I asked his opinion on a replacement motor, they recommended a TRX motor and should upgrade to the 3.3. I am not very happy with the TRX engine and I know there has to be a better motor out there. Could anyone recommend a better motor to replace the 2.5 that is in there now?

Also, my lhs told me that if I got 3 gallons of fuel through the engine that I am lucky and have a good motor. This did not make sense to me at all because that means I would be buying a new engine every 3 gallons, sounds like it can get expensive replacing that many engines. I am very particular about maintaining these things so how long should an engine last?

One last thing which did not make much sense is when I asked them if I were to upgrade to the 3.3, would I have to upgrade the transmission or cvd's. They told me I would not have to upgrade anything but I have been advised if I get the bigger motor I need to upgrade the tranny and cvd's so I am kind of confused. Thanks and appreciate any feedback you can give.

I run 1 T-maxx's from time to time and my brother runs 2 all the time all 3 have the TRX 3.3 in them and we have had great luck with them they are very stong and reliable and hold a great tune. My bro has probably 6 -7 gal on both of his and mine realy doesnt have alot threw it probably 3 gal. or so.

The front bearing can be an issue but if the motor is running good and is holding a tune then run it. You can replace the bearing just find the size of it and replace it with a good boca or something like it.

I believe that your trans will be fine and if you do brake the drive shafts I woulud upgrade to the plastic slide type that is used on the newer ones. However, the center shafts onthe new ones are trash so do the CVD upgrade there if needed. You will be fine with the 3.3 as far as drive train goes and will be happy with the power difference.

The 3.3 is a great engine you will be very happy with this engine and it dose hold a tune very well. I have 2.5, 2.5r, and 3.3 they are all great engines.

Thanks everyone. When its time (and it could be soon) I think I will give the 3.3 a try. His truck was my first real R/C truck so after the engine was broken in properly, it also went through an owner break in process. So I guess I should give it some credit. I just wanted to make sure if I had to spend the $130 I wanted to get the best engine I could.

ya actually the 3.3 screams when tuned properly!! i had the 3.3 t maxx myself, it was my first nitro and it was fast!!!!!! but i started launching it to show off and was fixing it alot lol

Hey Allan you can get a more powerful engine if thats what you are after, don't get me wrong the 3.3 is great engine, but it isn't a big block. They make a big bock Kit for the T-Maxx and you can put a verity of good engines in it. OS also makes some very good engines that will bolt right into the truck as well, so with all of that said, you have a real tough desision to make.

Latest posts

Members online

Back