solid spur gear? good or bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednek

Just seeking some advise, instructions state that damage may happen if spur gear too tight, so is a solid mounted spur gear hop up a bad or good investment?

Why you couldn't ask this yesterday. I just purchased a solidone yesterday and i have the truck taken apart now, installing it. Also purchased dual disc brakes

good thing i purchased two extra plastics, so i guess i'll be puttitng the plastics back on

just take a piece of paper and put it between your bell and the spur. if everything is lined up right when you pull the paper the mesh will be right. there will be no bind and it will turn smooth. Plastic is a weak point. it is there for a reason. You have two expensive parts on each side of it. I would rather burn a spur than an engine or tranny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the steel spur and racing clutch bell from hpi for over 3 gallons now with zero problems. I have an axial .28 and the plastic spurs didnt stand a chance now matter perfect the mesh was. I was stripping one nearly every time i went out and it was always on one side of the spur gear which told me that they were all out of round (wobble). After i put the steel spur and racing bell on i haven't touched them since i first installed them other then checking the tightness of the cap screw and spur nut. I have had no problems with tranny or engine at all. Say what u will about steel spurs but until hpi can produce a spur that is true then ill stick with my set-up.

Well sounds like the Steel spur you got did a great job of hiding the problems in your truck. I run that mill with a plastic spur and have no problems with the spur, plenty of twisted and broken dogbones but no spur stripping.

i have plastic on an x w/ a 4.6 and a steel combo on the ssx w/sts30. no problems with either but i do check my mesh before each run.

I run that mill with a plastic spur and have no problems with the spur, plenty of twisted and broken dogbones but no spur stripping.

Wow...I like to bash and all, but how in the world are you twisiting & bending plenty of dogbones?! I don't think I've managed that one yet...lol. I'm impressed!

I own two Robinson Racing combo's and find it a little un-nerving to install either of them.

Why?...
Because for one, I learned that I can rely on the the standard spurs.
After getting a little experience from the hours of drive time one gains, I can see that there's really
no reason to risk the drivetrain if your a basher, period.

I feel the main reason that the steel combo has a purpose in use is the asurance that the teeth won't melt.
If you race in competition, that's an important consideration and your sponsors can foot the bill for the damage that may occure.

If you just bash and want to keep it simple, stick to the plastic spur.

Utilizing a steel combo is a application for the more experienced and not for newbies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back