So here we go on my XL 5.9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff7373

So I started the tear down yesterday and so far all looks pretty good missing a few screws here and there and the motor mount is cracked. I got some pics of it all not done tearing down yet but am working on it.

the lrp has a rotostart backplate I didn't receive the wand will a standard HPI wand fit?

Cracked motor mount got a new one in the parts box

missing motor mount bolt the other three where loose causing the engine to rock in the mount.

traxxas servo used for the throttle I have a box with servos so I will be replacing once I see what I have may need some opinions.

steering servo will probably replace also one of the screws was missing off the steering post.

underside of truck looks pretty clean.

antenna tube is shot I have another one so all good.

side view all looks good

other side view

top view

another top view

Overall I am content with the purchase found one broken hex pin and one stripped wheel hub opposite corners. The engine has great compression when turning over by hand I will post pics of anything else I find out of the ordinary.

That starter is a Tiger Drive, a 7/32 hex driver will work on it, Buy a long one from the hardware store and cut off the bent end , a ball type works well for this......chuck in any cordless drill and instant start wand......

Got you for some reason the sent me the HPI roto start 2 minus the wand will that work with the 7/32 hex driver or should I just go with the drill.

I think a ritual banishment needs to occur for that traxxas servo. I mean, I actually feel dirty seeing a traxxas part in a savage. Lol:yuck:

I think a ritual banishment needs to occur for that traxxas servo. I mean, I actually feel dirty seeing a traxxas part in a savage. Lol:yuck:

Oh it's going LOL I just got to dig through my box of servos to decide what to swap it with

Is the savage SF-50 servo worth putting in place of the throttle servo or should I see what I have before making the swap.

So here are my Servo choices please recommend which one should go where
Futaba S9402
Futaba S3003
Cirrus CS80
Hitec HS615MG
Hitech HS 525MG
JR NEH531
JR Z270
JR Z590M

Some how over the past few years I have misplace my JR RS310 receiver that I had as a spare so any recomendations towards transmitters and receivers would be nice I would like a transmitter that can do up to 10 models.

I am using a FlySky GT3B to run my MMT and my Savage with it has tons of adjustability and is comfy in my hand, as for those servos ya have I would use the best one in steering and use the sf50 in throttle location.... I looked on hitec site but did not find those servos you listed, maybe they are old or something.... either way you want something in steering that can do 200 ozin so it will steer tho...... I have had good luck with the servos sold by hobbypartz.com the solar servos are nice and strong and last well in tough conditions and the price is great also.... The are also the seller of the FlySky Radio system I listed above....

yes they are definately old I am a pack rat I can't remember which ones are the better I will have to do some research. I will check out the Flysky radio and see what I find thanks for your help.

cool thank right now it's in pieces as I determine what to do with it probably going to be a basic build with a new radio, I will keep the pics coming as I go.

The flysky radios mentioned above can I control more then 1 vehicle with it if I buy multiple receivers.

Yes, I have 2 bound to my GT3B and am going to add another soon.....

Sweet for the price of the unit it may be time to upgrade guess I will be selling off my JR XS3 pro one day.

A drill will work but it doesn't spin as fast or work as well as the HPI rotostart (spins counter clock wise) or Losi wand (spins clock wise). I have used a Dewalt cordless on mine before, it doesn't work as good as the wands, even when set on high speed. Also, if you decide to go with a drill remember to set the torque control. If you flood the motor and hydra lock it, you can bend or break the connecting rod by using a drill that is set for to much torque.

Nice truck by the way!!

Last edited:
Thank you my next ebay order will contain one wand for the tiger drive hoping it works with the Rotostart 2 I received.

The tiger drive and the roto start use different drive bits.

roto start:
mUVhRl7J7fNO0RNtMDnLbhQ.jpg

tiger drive:
S686n01.JPG

That aluminum coupler does come off of the tiger drive, it is held on by 2 set screws, not sure if it is the same size diameter. The Losi shaft for their roto start system is like the HPI shaft but doesn't have the little ears that stick out, and it will fit in the HPI wand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-LOSB51...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cd6b5cc9

Excellent I will try the Losi one thank you guys for the help I believe the rest of my parts came in today so I may get to finish playing with the truck over the weekend at least get the front end put back together.

Since I can't find my spare receiver I ordered the GT3C radio and 7 receivers to control my collection. I will be ebaying my other controller once I receive it and my receivers.

I ordered the same radio today. I have been using a old Traxxas radio on my new Savage, I figured I best get a decent radio for it and that one looks pretty good.

Yep for the price of just one JR XS310 receiver I can upgrade my collection to the new receiver and radio.

OK here is my update for the week yes at the rate I am going I will be old and retired before I am done with this truck. :) I have received the new Flysky radio and receivers they look nice just haven't tried to bind them yet, I have received the complete screw kit since several of my screws are bent including the shocks. I have the front half tore down and the diff soaking in simple green they diff was full of grease no oil at all. My plan is tomorrow to re-assemble the diff and fill it with 10,000 weight oil and reassemble the front end. I need to order a new roto start as the one that came with it will not spin at all and I have tried several different batteries.

I swear I am still working on it finally had a few minutes again today I have all my parts finally even the starter shafts I am doing my best to have it back together by next weekend we will see. Check out my kicking Mad Cow Mat I love this thing it's great when working in the house and the kids are running around.

I like the aluminum bottles LOL between them and cathing up on the Sons Of Anarchy I may one day complete this truck ;)

Well my :eyes: are waiting to see more soon, lil less of that aluminum bottle stuff and more wrenching seems to be in order :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back