SMC's Take on the new hpi Savage FLUX HP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuffleupagus

We've had the trucks for about a week now and have had lots of fun with them. We've also had a few issues.

The issues:

The battery box is a good design! The clips that hold the lid to the bottom part of the box just need more material on them to grab once they are pressed together. The velcro mod that some other people have posted works really well. I did not like the hole in the back of the box for the battery wires to come through at all. We modded ours by removing some of the material from the "hood scoop" located on the battery box lid. This allows the wires to run right out the top of the box making connections simple without having to stretch the esc wires too much. It also gives the wires more room. I personally thought the stock hole pinched the wires.

Even though the pinion was thread locked, both of ours backed off. Luckily no gears were damaged!

The Good Stuff:

In true hpi & Savage from, durability is second to none. Of course parts will break do to inexperience and carelessness. We have broken a few uprights during some harsh landings and never ending tumbles. After 5 days of drag racing, standing backflips, 7ft. of air, and just all-out-bashing, I think this is my favorite vehicle so far. I'll be upping the shock oil just a bit as the truck bottoms out pretty bad and since I'll be doing more jumping and smooth surface running, this will suit me better. I haven't driven the truck with 6s strapped in yet but we should be getting some 3s samples in the next few weeks and these will be a welcome change. This truck is way over-powered, but it will appeal to most people just because of that feature. People aren't going to care about it's price or how often they break something, if they ever do. It's appeal is in what it delivers...More power than the average Joe can handle, durability to no end, and hpi's support and service which is a true industry leader. I love my FLUX Firestorm. The Firestorm has seem more time on the track or on the bashing grounds than anything else I own but the Savage is unlike anything I've ever driven before. Constant power on tap, even running on 4s! This thing pulls wheelies @ just about any speed given there is good traction. Drag racing is a blast and after 15 minutes of WFO running, the fan kicked on for just a few minutes. I've never seen a system run so cool under this kind of a load. After driving the FLUX Savage, I don't know why anyone would want to run nitro. I'll try to get some video's and pics in the next few weeks.

Look out No Limit R/C World Finals...This is THE truck to have for 2009!!!

Bryan @ SMC

Bryan.. great write up and review! Thanks for sharing and the tips on wire routing. Maybe someday I can get one of these, too bad there is no econmic stimulus check this year...lol

Thanks Allen. Just making sure I give hpi credit for what they bring to the enthusiasts/customers! The truck does have a big price tag but, it's most def. worth every penny. Yes, a stimulus check would be nice again this year. I know last year's helped me add to my collection. I hope we can make it to at least 1 of the NLVA events this year. If not, we will def. represent @ The Dungeon.

I'll post more on this amazing truck when we have a few more bashing/testing sessions!

Bryan @ SMC

great write up my friend!! sounds like hpi has done it again!! lol i have to say HPI is one company that listens to there customers feedback and builds on it am looking forward to vids of the flux!!!!

You just made me drool in my keyboard....... Great write up!

Brian, thanks for sharing the tips, and i am really looking forward to seeing some Flux's longjump and freestyle.

Nitro is loud! That's why I want to run nitro. Good review Brian, I wish I had the cash.

Nice to see a savage as insane as the Flux. Great review well humm maybe could have been better with pics,j/k. SMC brings a lot of energy, good people to know. Thanks for all you have done for me as well. Really like to see that truck at the WF running.

I have a few things I want to change on the truck but, out of the box, it's begging for the abuse your about to put it through. Jumps, bumps, ruts, potholes, anything in it's way it makes short work of. Scott, my co-worker, has broken the front 13T bevel gear due to his amazement with the standing backflip and inexperience when landing from jumps. It took several horrible landings and I'd say @ least 30+ standing backflips before the gear let go. Upon inspection we got to the front gear set finding several broken teeth just hanging out inside the gearbox. I've seen a couple other reviews where this has been a weakpoint. Me personally, I can't say it's a weakpoint as the truck isn't made to do standing backflips all the time. If you put the truck through it's normal paces and even go extreme with the jumps it will withstand most anything, providing you land correctly! I don't know if my truck will see the longjump, it will though see the Freestyle course!!!

The pics are coming, just have to wait til I can find my camera cable.

I'm glad I've influenced @ least 1 person to buy this truck. Hopefully I can do the same for several more. HPI's FLUX Savage is a very worthy investment. No matter what skill level you are @, the truck will accomodate you. Just respect it and it's abilities and you should have an enjoyable experience.

Bryan @ SMC

Bryan, are you running the FLUX with 3s or 2s batteries?

Please try to come to a NLMD (this Saturday 3/7) nor NLVA (next Saturday 3/14) with your FLUX. Sounds like a cool truck, especially if running with a pair of 40C C-Max LiPos.

Steve G.

Steve,

I've only had 2 2S packs in the truck. We have a few sample 3S packs that I'm waiting to try. It's too cold out right now and kinda sloppy from the snow we just received. I have plans to make it to the NLMD event, but can't make any promises. Saturday's don't work out really well for me right now, but I'm trying to get to one of these events.

Thanks,

Bryan @ SMC

Here is our battery box mod. We removed some material around the "hood scoop" on the box lid to run the wires out the top provided more wire length and this way the wires don't get pinched. The pics aren't great, but they should give some idea to where the material has been removed. All you need is a hobby knife or dremel and remove just enough for the deans connector to pass through freely.

Bryan @ SMC

Looks pretty easy to me. I think I need to whip out the dremel next time I'm home and do the same. Easy and worthwhile.

Was going to take the FLUX to Bumps and Jumps with me this past Sunday but I destroyed the pinion and wasn't about to try the 25t on an indoor offroad track. I'll try to get our video up soon. I tried to upload it on my computer, but I have snail speed and it won't allow me to do so. The trucks are still way to much fun for words to explain. We had a small gear issue on Scott's truck and mine this week. I think our 3S packs are a bit more powerful than what hpi was using for testing. I broke teeth off 3 different gears in the tranny box and Scott broke 1 in there. Both occured after running 2 3S packs up and down the street, drag racing. No jumping or awkward landing. We will be back up and running next week with the new parts and we have both decided to go back on 2 2S packs as it is a bit easier to control, but still scary fast!!!

Bryan @ SMC

I can vouch for the scary speed. I got some wheel time with Scott's truck at SMC. The truck paired with SMC batteries is almost too much! Don't say I told you so.

I am a die hard nitro fanatic! The Savage Flux with with SMC power is incredible! Great job SMC!

Latest posts

Members online

Back