Slipping problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobra

I have a very bad slipping problem on my X. I can't seem to find the cause. Here's what I DO know. If I put the truck on a stand and give it full throttle the wheels appear to spin properly. As soon as I put it on the ground it barely crawls. It's NOT a fuel/tune problem. While on the ground I can give it full throttle and the two gears that are supposed to mesh up (engine/tranny) spin like they should.

I took the transmission apart, took the upper gears out. Spinning the bottom gear of the tranny by hand I could not feel any slip. There are no stripped gears in the tranny. The tranny clutch appears to be ok, no screws are backing out of it.

I did not disassemble the cb since it would spin like it should when giving it throttle.

Needless to say, at this point I'm baffled.

Did you check your diff's, also check to make sure you haven't lost a set screw in the trannyout drive cups and diff cups, while you where in the tranny did you check the 1 way, very unlikly it went bad but if everything else is ok, it could happen. could be a bad pad on the slipper

Last edited by a moderator:
1. If you have not: Clean your transmission with alcohol or crc brakleen.

2. Try tightening the spur nut/spring to the point where you can't move the spur with your hands when the car is on the ground.

3. Take of the clutch bell and check the cluch shoes for wear even though it looks like there is no slip.. Also check the springs, try cleaning the bell\shoes with alcohol/brakleen.

I would think the problem is in the transmission, oil or dirt..

Based on what y'all told me to check I now have it narrowed down to the diffs. Without a doubt, that is where the slip is coming from. It's so bad that the darn thing won't go forward. N E way, I took the diffs out and apart, I couldn't find what the problem is. Everything seemed to be ok. Anything specifically I should be looking for?

when i took mine apart it was the big bevel gear had worn and it didnt engage

when i took mine apart it was the big bevel gear had worn and it didnt engage

Guess I will have to take it apart again and take another look. None of the gears appeared to be worn when I had it apart. This darn thing has less than a gallon on it, so it's pretty aggravating to be dealing with this type of problem so soon.

Another thing that puzzles me, if it's the diffs then doesn't that mean both front and back went out on me? Having both go out within a week of being new seems quite odd.

Check the ring and pinion, make sure no teeth missing. Check the diff gears in the cup, for wear, the 2 big gears that are in the cup remove, there should be a pin that holds them to the out drive cups, inspect the pins to make sure they are not broken. easy way to check a diff setup. while the diff is together case and all (you can do this while the truck is together 2). first turn the out drive cups the axle ones they should be nice and smooth.they should not hange up or feel any slipage. next hold 1 axle side cup still, then turn the other axle cup it should spin freely and there should not be any slippage.
Hold the front tires still, turn the rear together they shouldnt move. just do little test like these to help find the prob
if you have the diff out of the case turn one side or both it should be smooth,no binding or slipping.
gears should have a nice stright edge, not beveled inwards,or missing chunks.

when you had it running and on the ground the spur and cb where spinning, did you look at the center axles to see if they where spinning 2? if they where not it might just be a bad or loose slipper on your spur, did you hear any clicking noise?
hold the brakes closed on your truck or hold the spur still, now try to push it forwards, look to see if the shaft the spur gear rides on is slipping( you will see the lock down nut moveing and the spur not) listen for any noise coming fron the diffs.
do any of the simple diff tests above, they can be done while the truck is together.
hope this might help you some sry so long hope it make sence was in a hurry writing.

Without a doubt, the problems lies with the diffs. Big bevel gear doesn't look bad/worn. Neither does the small gear. But something in there isn't engaging. I pulled up new parts pictures and compared my gears to them, that's how I'm gaging the wear. But if I were to take a guess, it has to be with those two gears.

OK, for grins I replaced the small and large bevel gear. It didn't make a bit of difference. Yet I know the problem MUST be with the diffs because I'll set the truck on the ground, give it full throttle.....it doesn't go anywhere. But if you look under it you can see both drive shafts turning.

what about the friction pad on the slipper clutch behind the spur?
sometimes they disentegrate.

when you do the tests on diffs above do you hear any grinding or clicking? diff and pinion will not just slip, it will be noisy and feel nasty if it is.

check the diff outdrive pins as they shatter on occasion, and check the grub pins on the centre dog cups on both cente gear box and diff inputs.

and do you hear any abnormal noises when you rev the engine with the truck on the ground compared to revving with the whees in the air?

sounds like your slipper is to loose you might have melted it check to c if the spur gear is ok (the teeth might look ok) but iam talking about the pad

But if it were the slipper clutch pad, then would it not make sense that the drive shafts would not be turning???

Get this.....I FINALLY figured it out. I took both bottom plates off so I could see the bevel gears. I found that the rear bevels were slipping. Here's the problem, I am MISSTING a bearing from the rear differential?

An no, I did not loose the rear bearing. Darn thing is only a week old today. Tell ya on thing though. I now know my savage inside and out (as many times as I have taken it apart this week)

i can't belive it lasted as long as it did

OK OK OK....Call me a fool....call me an idiot.....ask me what I been smoking, etc. It was NOT a missing bearing. It was in fact the bevel gears. When I change them out, I left a bearing out. Yes, I know....all my fault on that part.

But now lets focus in on these darn bevel gears. They were barely worn and stopped engaging. This tells me I'm working with a bad design. I saw somewhere about a differential case made out of aluminum. Would this alleviate my problem in the future?

Can someone send me a pic of what this look like? I have the same problem?

Which parts do i need to replace?

Thanks.

-fz

Guess I will have to take it apart again and take another look. None of the gears appeared to be worn when I had it apart. This darn thing has less than a gallon on it, so it's pretty aggravating to be dealing with this type of problem so soon.

Another thing that puzzles me, if it's the diffs then doesn't that mean both front and back went out on me? Having both go out within a week of being new seems quite odd.

no it really isn't chap ... read my thread ... the very same thing just happened to me on my second trip out with my savage ...

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3829&highlight=diffs

Slipping issues!

all after all the recommendation I checked the diffs and all gears and bearing are in tach. I have taken the apart just yest. I also tightened the slipper. The model still appears to be very sluggish and does not move at all. Please advise!!!

-fz

I would of said stripped hex hub but this is an old thread so I am sure this is all long forgotten. Fz417 what's happening with your truck? Is it revving up nicely? is it changing gears? Are you missing a drive pin from one of the drive cups (the most common problem)?

I would of said stripped hex hub but this is an old thread so I am sure this is all long forgotten. Fz417 what's happening with your truck? Is it revving up nicely? is it changing gears? Are you missing a drive pin from one of the drive cups (the most common problem)?

I have tightened my slipper clutch and when the truck is on the ground it dos not move forward. Where can I find the cups?

On either side of your transmission there are 2 drive shafts (dog bones). These sis in drive cups which are secured to the tranny and diffs via little drive pins. The drive pins always fall out from factory cause they don't loctite them very well. If all the 4 drive pins are still there try turning the spur gear with your finger and see where things stop spinning. Check the wheel hexes too. Pull the wheels off and check the hubs haven't rounded.

I am not sure but, i took the slipper clutch apart and the pad is has some wear although the spur gear is missing the star formation that holds the pad. Will the be the reason why it does not move forward. i have verified both diffs are operational and the ping that holds the pad and spur is tact.

Thanks.

-fz415

If you could post some pictures that might help.
If you turn the spur gear by hand does it turn the transmission and move the truck forward?

NO. The spur slips with out moving the tranny or wheels. I can't remember if this is suppose to turn.

If you roll the truck forward does the transmission spin, and the spur gear? Check to make sure everything in the tranny is turning.
You have a Savage X right?
the nut on the spur gear needs to be tightened all the way down and then backed off about 1/2 a turn or so. You want it to slip if a hard load is applied to it but not when you get on the throttle hard.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back