Site Jester's MIP review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Mip clutch Review

MIP CLUTCH REVIEW

mip.jpg

I had the chance to review the mip clutch set up for the savage.

INTALLATION
Very simple, the only thing I had to do was change the flywheel to a 2 pin one. This clutch uses a 2 pin flywheel, witch Mega sent me b/c I and most people w/ a savage use a 3 pin design, and I didn't have one. So I changed the flywheel and that's it. and slid the clutch on the pins.. REALLY easy to set up.

The clutch bell went on nice and I was ready to roll..... I thought anyway .

Testing .. After I fired the engine(surefire .32) I had to adjust the idle, it was revving really high. But the clutch wasn't engadging . I Bliped the throttle and the truck started to move forward(this was at half throttle and the truck would harldy move) SO I though maybe it was my slipper clutch was loose NOPE . The clutch was slipping REALLY bad and, the rpm's were really high like 3/4 throttle before I could get any speed from My savage. I then started some full throttle runs trying to get some speed but, The clutch was slipping so badly that it wouldn't shift. I thought it was my tuning so I leaned out the engine some more and then some more. I leaned the surefire so much it was stalling so I knew it wasn't my tuning that was causing the tranny not to shift. So I thought maybe its my tranny. I then pulled the tranny and installed my 2 speed. NOPE same thing wouldn't shift for nothing.

I ran 4 tanks trying to adjust the tranny and trying to break in this clutch, It slipped so badly it was like I didn't even have a clutch on there. I was afarid I was going to damage my engine. My rpm's were so high (it was running 305* ) and it was only 65* out today.

ONE LAST SHOT
There is a adjustment on the clutch. I pulled the engine and move the clutch to a different position on the flywheel. (see pic) there is 2 holes on the clutch you just move the clutch on the other pin.
So put the engine back in hoping this will help. and....... NOTHING it didn't help at all, I couldn't tell the difference. The engine would rev really really really high and wouldn't pull the truck at all. And still no tranny shift.

IN CALUTION..
IMO. Don't waste your time with this clutch, yes it was very easy to install. But not worth the effort you put into it. And the damage you might cause to your engine.

So I installed my nova clutch back in and had to readjust my tranny shif points and retune, and adjust my idle.
and MY savage was once again. Pulling hard and SHIFTING !!!!

If you have any ?'s or comments PLEASE feel free and ask,

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... What a frig'in drag that had to be mess'in with that thing.
I have MIP diff cups and out drives w/ drive shafts (front and rear) with dog bones on all fours including MIP axles... I hope those are going to hold up.

Did you try flipping the shoes the other dirrection?
Softer springs might help.
Does this MIP Clutch have any reccommended shoe and spring setups suggested?

Just a thought... sorry you had to risk your engine's safty just to try the thing out.
I will say that I couldn't imagine a two shoe setup being better than a three shoe setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
mip clutch

I have been using mip clutch for two years on my picco 26 works fine. The only thing found was that the pin holes needed to be enlarged slightly because pin were a little to tight. Has had no slipping at all. Grabs fast.

ACE

Thats weird ACE . what clutch bell did you use ? Iam using a stock hpi 17 tooth. And I noticed the very front of the clutch (that lip you see in the pic) was rubbing on the front of the bell, if I was to drive it much more like that it would wear down quickly and the flywheel pins would start to rub..

Yea the clutch grabbed fast, but (like doobeewha said) maybe some softer springs would help, combat some of the major slipping that I encountered,

That for the reply guys, ace can you give me anymore tips on this clutch b/c you are running it. I will be more then welcome to give it another try .. thanks bud

Wow... What a frig'in drag that had to be mess'in with that thing.
I have MIP diff cups and out drives w/ drive shafts (front and rear) with dog bones on all fours including MIP axles... I hope those are going to hold up.

Did you try flipping the shoes the other dirrection?
Softer springs might help.
Does this MIP Clutch have any reccommended shoe and spring setups suggested?

Just a thought... sorry you had to risk your engine's safty just to try the thing out.
I will say that I couldn't imagine a two shoe setup being better than a three shoe setup.

Not sure if they make softer springs bud, I don't know much about this clutch . and I never tried fippings the shoes . and I just used the springs that came w/ the clutch . I will do some research about the springs and such and give some feeback if I find some... THANKS

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back