sick to death of stripped spur gears on X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamskii

ok have tried everything suggested.. but the X is just going through spur gears faster than i can replace them.. about a dozen spurs in 3 months. No the mesh is not wrong. No the parts arent loose. no it doesnt matter if the slipper nut is tight, loose, or other. No the engine mounts arent loose or the engine plate. etc etc etc have tried several things.. best i had was 6 weeks from a single gear. Now i usually bash hard. I work in an RC shop n get my parts cheap.. wholesale cheap.. so I can kinda afford to bash hard, but seriously, i haven't done anything to even rate as HARD lately.

have replaced the idler shaft with titanium one (other one i suspected of being bent). replaced all bearings including the expensive one way on the idler shaft. replaced the gear kick up too. nothing. engine is tuned fine.. perfect temps, great speeds , when its running good its awesome, then for reasons unknown spur strips. ANd why do brand new spur gears turn and not be centered ? what sort of quality control is responsible for off centre or misaligned plastic mouldings? If i am paying for an apparently quality name.. I expect it to deliver! I also expect a thousand dollar (Australian) RC car to have brakes that work. a starter that doesnt brake, bolts to not fall out on day 1, pins not to fall out on day 2, servos not to fail on day 3, and when the parts to fix it are ordered, i expect the book to be accurate in describing their numbers correctly!

this problem is too common on the X . HPI PLEASE FIX THIS NUISANCE AND THE DAMMED CRAPPY BRAKE PISTON DESIGN TOO !

Anyone with an aftermarket brake fix that doesnt use that piston system i would love to hear from ya.

So I HAve bought a robinson new savage X steel spur gear 49 tooth.. half the price of HPIs version and doesnt need an adapter hub. Have bought a 15 tooth racing CB to match it and keep that stock gearing. when they arrive i hope they work.. for a loong time.. coz otherwise this cars hitting the bargain bin at work. PS CHECK this link out for what it looks like...

http://www.rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=81_96&products_id=11704&osCsid=4dcb9c3251f77ae8dffaeb955590aa0c

Have replaced the craptus fibre brake with the expensive dual disk steel on from HPI. who knew the brake disks would rub on the CB ? I mean seriously. What a crap design flaw. So i got another engine deck, cut the two tabs of that mount the tranny, and bolted that on top of the existing plate, lifting the engine 2.5mm but also raising it above the brake and clearing it from contacting the cb ( otherwise I was going to machine the discs a few mm smaller). so much for lower CG chassis plates though. even so.. the brake is tempermental, settings change soo often.

so yeah I'm peeved at the savage. am hating HPI for a bit.. am a very patient person, but this is intollerable!

and to think i sell these to people and tell em how 'good" they are..

sheesh

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope the new Robinson spur works for you, but I see bad things coming....If you keep blowing these spurs, then there's a kink somewhere...Otherwise, that tranny will be the next thing to go....I hope this is not the case for you though....Seems that A LOT of people have been having issues with the X Spurs and trucks in general....Have you contacted HPI inregards to this? Explaining that you're in a Hobby Shop and know that it's not a mesh issue, possibly something factory related?

Another thing you might want to check before you run that robinson spur gear...is that i believe it says right on the package,do not use with any other type of CB...so in other words,use a robinson CB with the steel spur your going to run...it is something to do with the way the gears are cut..they just eat up other CB's....i run the robinson spur and CB's together,no chances are taken over here.Again you should really talk to HPI about the problem and see what they say...your not getting rid of the problem adding a steel spur....your moving it.

reasons for not talking to HPI yet..

not enough experience basically to know difference between factory problem and end user faults. some people are apparently going great with their X. Maybe i have a friday arvo build where the worker was more interested in getting home to his footbal match instead of building the car right.

My area of expertise is in plastic model building.. tanks.. but bought the X to learn enough to confidently sell nitro cars better, by refering to experiences. Well I have learnt a bucket load from this one, for every problem there is a solution and i have been presented with many solutions recently....

yuh am terrified gonna bust the tranny or motor.. but last resorts now!

by the way.. ironed out most kinks in hellfire and raced it at the weekend... got two firsts in pullstart truggy ! very pleased for first time racing.

hellfire kicks *** ! cant wait for ss kit to be available in australia.

adam

It sounds like you know what to look for and how to go about it. If it helps any I run the dual brake disk setup. The two screws that hold the calipers those I keep an eye on as well as the brake lever that goes down along the side of the tranny I will adjust them from time to time. That's about it for me. The dual disk I use is from Envy racing. The only place I've ever found them were on Savage Central store. They have kevlar pads and are light weight. I think might help with the rotational mass. I can't find them anymore.

I was going thru stock spurs as well and gave up and went to Alum. spur form Kippster racing, not sure he's selling anymore but made an awesome setup. I haven't had any issues to date but do keep a close eye on it. However I have 2 of the original Savages so even though they are simular they still may vary in degree thru there setup.

Lastly are you running stock clutch shoes? Have you checked your clutch springs to be sure nothing is hanging up. If not maybe try going to mugen springs. There are 3 sizes the .09, 1.0 and lastly the 1.1. Since I run a CMB .21 I like the 1.0 but might try the 1.1. I know if the clutch hangs it will fry the spur. I believe what Doesgo said try part# he gave for the tranny box. He said it flex's or gives under strain. That makes a whole lot of sence. He said the cost is around $11 bucks. If their is one guy here that knows he and -b- do. All they do is test products as well as sell and make some of the most incredible vids you'll see. Look up Doesgo from his post he's new and chalked full of information. Get with him in a pm and see what he has to say. Don't give up just yet.

http://www.smfstore.com/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey...don't worry about not having enough experince to talk to HPI about a problem..they know that every truck they sell is not going to a proffesional racer...they are there to help their clientale with any problems they have with an HPI product...and that's means anybody.

Try an old-style Savage tranny case. Takes some time, but it's cheap. Word is the X-style flexes as the clutch bell rotates the spur upward, allowing the top tranny shaft to move up and away from the bell, opening up the gear mesh, leading to blown spurs. The steel spurs cover up the problem. That's good enough for most people, and that's fine. But an $11 tranny case is cheaper than a Robinson or HPI steel setup.

As for the Robinson setup, it is definitely tough and cheaper than HPI's, but I favor HPI's. It's a lot lighter thanks to the aluminum center and narrower gear, it's got replaceable gears and more tooth-counts from which to choose so you can swap them out at will, and you can run any hardened clutch bell, such as those from OFNA, HPI, or others. No need to stick with Robinson's gears.

have u checked to c if your chassie is slightly bent coz i bent mine on a bad back end landing its very hard to see but it puts the motor at the wrong angle i now have to washes under the front of my motor to keep it up straighter with the spur because there is a week point on the back end of the tvps

Basically I've been stocking up on parts I haven't as yet needed... ? my son Andy and I for that matter beat it relentlessly without failure.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back