Shock Spring Options for your Savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnThatPipe

On a vacation
For those interested in using a variety of shock springs on your Savage, below are some tips to keep in mind along with what I've found to work well.. Although its purpose is to support the weight of the truck, shock springs can greatly influence weight transfer, ultimately affecting how the truck handles...so it's good to understand how to best leverage your options with this truck.

Spring Rate
The question people ask is: "Do I run Firm, Medium, or Soft springs?" My answer is...."Yes". lol Yes, depending on the traction and surface level where you will be running. Rules of thumb:.
  • Firmer: Higher traction/level surface. Intent is to limit the body roll by reducing the traction.
  • Softer: Lower traction/bumpy surface. Intent here is to keep the truck level so tires stay on the ground.

Spring Frequency Rate
All RC suspension systems have a natural frequency they want to resonate at. Meaning the speed it vibrates in an un-dampened state. Each end of the truck has a different frequency.
Once the shocks are compressed, one end of the truck is going to raise faster than the other. This means that end has a higher frequency rate and will affect the handling of the truck. I learned the importance of this from the old SCT racers back in the day. To keep the truck as level as possible at all times you'll need to ensure the spring rate is the same on both ends of the truck.

Spring Rate Balancing:
Knowing your goal is to keep the truck as level as possible, it's a good practice to balance the frequency rate of the truck, Below are the steps I use:
  1. Take the shocks you are running and remove the oil from it.
  2. Using the type springs (firm, med, soft), place them on the shocks and put the shocks on the truck (fully built without the shock oil).
  3. Raise the truck ~3-5 inches and drop it on the bench.
  4. If both ends raise at the same speed/distance the truck is spring balanced.
  5. If one end bounces higher and/or faster then try below until the the spring rate is balanced for both ends.:
    • Try a different brand. i.e. If running HPI "firm" and you want something firmer, try a Losi firm (as an example).
    • Try firmer or lighter spring (depending again on the setup)
    • Lay the shock down a hole at a time.

Using patience you'll be able to determine the spring rates needed to balance the truck when running firm, med, or soft suspension setups.

Post Balance:
After it's balanced you can then put oil in it. Start on the lighter side (again depending on your traction/surface level) and take it out. If one end still bounces more than the other, you can adjust that end with oil, still leaving the truck perfectly balanced.

Observations/Tips:
  • Having performed the trial and error of spring balancing the Savage (for firm, med, and soft springs) I've found that the front end has a much higher frequency in the rear.
  • When using a non-Savage spring, you often will need to use the spring cup and/or collar for that spring. Example: (most) OFNA springs will often require you use the OFNA spring cup. (Most) Mugen springs can be used with the Savage cup. This will allow you to use springs with a larger diameter
  • It's important to note that I decrease the droop on the truck to help tame its chassis roll on high bite surfaces. Some of the springs below require an internal limiter, so you're down-travel will have to be set to fit some of these.
  • You can indeed have a softer rear suspension (or vice-versa) and still have the truck spring balanced.
  • The ride height (pre-load) does not affect the spring rate. Meaning if you put a bunch of clips on a soft spring, it's not going to necessarily make that spring more firm.
  • If you are having trouble doing back flips off jumps try a firmer spring up front.
  • Firm springs to not aid you in doing wheelies. I've found a softer setup in the rear allows me to control my wheelies much better.
  • The spring tension is defined by the coil and the number of turns. Thus a firmer spring will have a thicker coil and fewer turns while a softer will have thinner and more turrns. These range from .95mm-1.8mm coil and 10-T to 18-T
  • Below are some of the different springs I run on the Savage: You'probably don't want to drop below 90mm (if memory serves), which will mainly be rear springs from non MTs. As noted you might need to adjust your down-travel and/or cups/collars to fit, but this allows a nice range of springs to use.
    • Kyosho
    • Mugen
    • Losi
    • OFNA
    • Tamiya
    • X-Ray
    • Serpent
    • Tekno

Lot's of information I did not cover but I hope this helps some of you with the basics in determining which springs and why.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back