Shifting problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbXSS

Hey Guys. I am new on this forum. I am just getting back into the hobby and I bought the Savage 4.6. I have about eight tanks through it and it was broken in properly. My problem is the truck will not shift. It has reached temps of 260-270 and I'm sure the engine is reaching high enough rpms. I have read that sometimes the truck shifts too early and stays in second, but my bottom end power seems alright. I have tried adjusting for both a later and an earlier shift point and I have been unsucessful. I would appreciate any help. Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had this problem. one of the wheel hexes had striped therfor unloading onto that wheel cousing the other wheels to get minimum power so it didnt have a load on the shifting mechanism.

Response to shift problem

What's going on man. I'm new to this forum too. Because of the power of the 4.6, it is hard tell if the truck is in first or if the torque of the motor makes it seem like its in first. Couple of things to check for:
1. Check the nut on your spur gear. The instructions tell you to tighten up the nut and then bsckoff a 1/4 turn. Don't do that. Just tighten it down because sometimes leaving the nut loose causing it to continually back off.
2. Start the turck then hold it up in the air and pull the trigger slowly. By pulling the trigger slowly you can tell if the truck is shifting early.
3. If all else fails, you will hace to adjust the two-speed in the transmission. I generally screw the set screw of the way in and come up 3 and a half truns. That will be your starting point. If you get confused on what screw to adjust, turn to the right first. If you turn the right and the crew is tight, then that is not the right screw. :newb:

Latest posts

Members online

Back