setting the gear mesh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttuzun

this will be a total newbie question

how can i set the gear mesh? i know that paper trick

but i mean? what is the procedure
what screws should i loosen?
what do i actually change?
and things like that...

i pretty much need directions

i don't know if its asking for too much
but i have no other choice i couldnt find it anywhere

if someone can answer this it would be GREAT
or a link would be fine as well

thx

i'm a newb as well, but i believe you loosen the 4 motor mount screws that allow the engine to slide side to side...

oops...

i guess i forgot that i have a manual in hand..
i just realized that its on the manual
sorry about the stupid question

Even with the manual... Here's how I do it. Loosen the 4 motor mount screws just enough so the whole motor and mount are loose enough to move freely. Take a piece of regular old printer paper and cut or tear a small 1/4 to a 1/2 inch strip about 3 or 4 inches long. Place the strip between the spur gear and clutch bell. (some guys like to fold the paper in half, giving a double thickness, I find a single sheet of printer paper works well though) Set the motor so the mesh between the gears is fairly tight with the paper in between, and tighten two screws (generally I do opposite corners) and then rotate the spur gear by hand until the paper comes out. It should show nice creases in it, and when the paper is out, the gears should mesh smoothly and evenly without being too tight or too loose... Make sure to rotate the gears through several revolutions to make sure there are no hang ups, tight spots, etc. If all is well, tighten down the other two screws. If not, loosen up the two screws, and repeat with a new piece of paper until it's right. Should be good to go after that. Also make sure the slipper is tight, otherwise that will waste the spur gear in no time. I'd go with factory specs (which is a quarter turn from completely tight) to a little tighter than that. Looser is generally worse I've found. Good luck.
Vinny

Latest posts

Members online

Back