servo issues - twitching

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OWi

Hi, I recently bought the Savage Octane - and are experiencing some problems.
I've tried to mail hpi support, but there has been no answer for a week now.

# The car can refuse to go right, but is more than happy to turn left.

# It can suddenly turn by itself - either way, with variable force.

# The throttle servo twitches - small movements back and forth constantly.
I have not yet been able to observe this on the steering servo, but it feels like it's the same behaviour when driving.

# As far as I can gather, most of this occur when the engine is running - like the ignition is not shielded enough.
When I observe the throttle servo with the enginge running, it twitches - and when killing the engine, the servo stops twitching.

# The steering servo seems very underpowered - in particular when turning to the right.
The videos I can find about this shows servos (original) responding with what seems like over double the force mine have.
Mine can hardly turn the tires when the car is not moving - and turning to the right is notably harder for it than to the left.

# In the old days, I would suspect another sender using the same frequenzy, but here we're talking 2.4Ghz
- and I've tested it over a period of time driving solo, and in different locations, to try to rule out that possibility.

# I have bought 6 extra batteries, and this behaviour is the same using any of them.

It's getting worse over time, and I am now (~10 tanks in) lucky to get 5 minutes driving before it refuses to play nicely with me.

Any of you have any thoughts about this?

whew, a lot of questions.
#servo twich- is your battery dieing? if not, then have u set the servo endpoints?
#steering- do u have dual rates on? is the servo saver tightened the whole way? is ur linkage correct? again, have u set the endpoints?
# as for sudden movements, it could simply be from the terrain, or a problem with the radio. check all of the connections

a lot of info can be found in ur owner's manual. hope this helps! feel free to ask any other questions that u may have, and, WELCOME TO :hpisf:

Hope ya get it figgered out, sux to invest 900 bux into a rig and have nuthin but trouble with it....

Thank you for the welcome :)

All the batteries are brand new, comes straight from the charger - and it doesn't seem like they're low on juice.

I forgot to mention I'm using the stock radio, and if I'm not mistaken I can not set the endpoints with that one.
I have a dial for dual rates, but I have not touched it (it's maxed out) - likewise with the rest.
Assuming things are perfect from the factory would not be wise with a car which even the tire nuts are not tightened properly (yes, one tire fell off during first run).
I will go over the screws and connections.

As I understand dual rate (after reading up on it now), any changes here would affect the whole range - my problem is uneven distribution of power.
I'm a little rusty, so much needs to be relearned.

u have the tf/rf-40 tx, right? if so, then the endpoints CAN be adjusted. I know, I have that tx on my savx

Hope ya get it figgered out, sux to invest 900 bux into a rig and have nuthin but trouble with it....

Thanks.

The fun I've had with it up to this point is probably worth the amount alone :)
A solution will present itself - only a question of time I reckon.

u have the tf/rf-40 tx, right? if so, then the endpoints CAN be adjusted. I know, I have that tx on my savx

I have the TF-20E radio.
It has dual rate, steering-trim, throttle-trim and reversing as far as I can see.

Welcome to the forum owi!.

Can you possibly post some pictures of the trouble areas? This may help us in helping you diagnose this.

I'm redecorating and spent the entire evening yesterday looking for my camera, but no luck.
It's hard to get good pictures with my phone, so I'll have another look around for the camera..
I recorded a small, poor quality video of the throttle servo twitching, but was unable to upload it here - and speaking of loose nuts; I don't want a youtube account.

A videosharing account is near the top of my todo-list - just below driving my savage.

Well photobucket is ok for pics, not so much for video, I hear vimeo is ok for video sharing but i have not used it before.....

I've thought about vimeo for a long time, so against my better judgement I registered with vimeo (they share personal info with quite a few companies as stated in their privacy policy; http://iac.com/brands).

Videos on vimeo gets queued to convert, but can eventually be found at https://vimeo.com/user32724781 when it's done.
It was very easy to register and upload videos there btw.

I did manage to find my camera, but now it's to late in the evening to fire up an octane engine.

edit:
video is up:
Poor quality, but you can see the servo twitching and stopping when the engine shuts off at the end of the video.

Last edited:
I have seen analog servos twitch and act up when being used on a digital radio system, I have to wonder if this is related to all the reports of servo problems with the Octane truck.... if any of you have some decent digital servos maybe changing out the stock HPI servos in favor of one may help...... if anyone fixes this please post results here.....

This post might get me banned but here is the facts.
I also bought a new Losi LST XXL2, other than the fact you don't get the fun factor from standing still take off wheelies it's great.
One battery that last a long time not to mention it sips fuel.
The truck is very fast.
Big beefy shocks.
You can refuel and not remove the body.
Low stance makes doughnuts a blast without flipping over.
Now I don't buy there 2 cycle oil, I tried Klotz in it and it junked a couple of there $10 spark plugs that are not a reg plug and you have to get them from the LHS.
Blendzall works well in mine.
There is is no roll cage so use caution without the body on.
It has roto start.
Not very loud unlike the Octane.
There is more but all I can say is it's a good choice if your going gas.
I am not trying to sell anyone on the Losi it's just my experience with having them both, yours may differ.

jeepjunk94: does it steer ok both ways when sitting still on the ground?

Jam Racing 1: I might just buy myself a new radiosystem - I never did like the stock one.
And I'm also considering buying belts for my truck - might have to get some bigger servos then.

I am not trying to sell anyone on the Losi

I looked at both these cars, but as soon as I drove the savage I knew this is the car I've been wanting since I was a kid.
When I drove my mc I wanted speed - in a monstertruck I need clearance to climb over stuff.
I'm going to change mine with stiffer suspension and gear it down.. get some belts on perhaps.

You have valid points, but just seeing the way it climbs over obstacles... It's what I want despite the shortcomings.

...for now.

The Octane or the Losi?
I mailed the Octane off today and can't really tell ya if it steers lock to lock sitting still.
I just turned on the Losi and on my carpet it would only steer about a 1/4 turn in each direction.

The savage.

Ok. That's about the same I get out of my savage - on asphalt.
I saw one video on youtube about a guy putting his foot on top of the savage, and had full movement with stock servos.

personally, I would just get a new radio and servos. problem solved. u should be able to buy all three items for around 100$, too. unless u buy savox

My servo war burned after the first fill-up ans I faced similar issues. I replaced it and now it is ok. No other issues for the moment. I would suggest to replace the servos at first and then you proceed with other changes if necessary. It should be fine after placing the new ones. But HPI should reply on the spot for this kind of issues...

i mailed HPI sep. 26, and again a week later - but have not heard anything from them - not even a confirmation.
Not to happy about the customer service for the moment.

As it gets colder my health makes it harder for me to get outside, but we managed to try a run yesterday (to document some more) for about 5 mins before it started acting up again.
Steering twitching (alot) constantly, and throttle not responding at all.

I'm going for new servos (or replacing everything) next...

But if these HPI servos are acting up on several cars - are the other HPI servos any better or should I go for a different brand all together?

i mailed HPI sep. 26, and again a week later - but have not heard anything from them - not even a confirmation.
Not to happy about the customer service for the moment.

As it gets colder my health makes it harder for me to get outside, but we managed to try a run yesterday (to document some more) for about 5 mins before it started acting up again.
Steering twitching (alot) constantly, and throttle not responding at all.

I'm going for new servos (or replacing everything) next...

But if these HPI servos are acting up on several cars - are the other HPI servos any better or should I go for a different brand all together?
Hi OWi! I am not an expert, therefore I cannot reply... But HPI should take action and replace the problematic parts as the truck is new.. I stayed away from HPI for 5 years purely for customer support reasons, as I faced a major issue with a new Baja and they never replied to my several emails and calls...

The reseller have great service, so the problem will get fixed - but yes, I did expect better from HPI.
And the whole point with a support address is to... well.. support.
But then again, I didn't do any checks for customer service before buying - as I usually do. Learn as you live...

I bought myself a new servo, HiTEC HS-7954SH, and although the wheels now turn like they should there's still problems.
So the servo was defective.

Both servos twitching again as soon as I started the car.
I moved the CDI to the back of the car, and wouldn't you know it, the problems disappeared instantly.
The servos is rock steady, and it even runs smoother.

Getting to know HPI, I guess it will take a while before a replacement is shipped.
I've bought some alu boxes on ebay, and will see if i can mount the CDI in the back of the car instead.
Makes more sense.

Video showing the difference in servopower.
I tried to get the radio in the shot to show I used the full range, but the camera didn't catch what I hoped.
I'll learn.

I have not yet been able to observe this on the steering servo, but it feels like it's the same behaviour when driving.

# As far as I can gather, most of this occur when the engine is running - like the ignition is not shielded enough.
When I observe the throttle servo with the enginge running, it twitches - and when killing the engine, the servo stops twitching.

# The steering servo seems very underpowered - in particular when turning to the right.
The videos I can find about this shows servos (original) responding with what seems like over double the force mine have.
Mine can hardly turn the tires when the car is not moving - and turning to the right is notably harder for it than to the left.

# In the old days, I would suspect another sender using the same frequenzy, but here we're talking 2.4Ghz
- and I've tested it over a period of time driving solo, and in different locations, to try to rule out that possibility.

# I have bought 6 extra batteries, and this behaviour is the same using any of them.

It's getting worse over time, and I am now (~10 tanks in) lucky to get 5 minutes driving before it refuses to play nicely with me.

I also had problems with the servo I replaced it with a hi-tech 24kg 6v and not hpi. never respond to any email

Hmm.. Why did you put DISAGREE on my initial post, when you're confirming what I'm saying?

I guess you disagree with HPI, not with my post ;)

I tried a bunch of plugs before trying any other measure, so that wasn't the problem.

I also bought a new CDI from Ebay (that reminds me; the hobby store needs to cough up the money for the CDI.),
but health issues caught up with me before I was able to document what happened - so I can not remember if it worked or not.

I have a feeling it will not run when I'll be able to test it again...

Latest posts

Members online

Back