Servo issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dem

Drove slowly over a 2inch curb and suddenly lost throttle and break control..

Was lookin at it today and it seems to work when it wants to. Which isnt long then just stops. When it works i can keep makin it move but say once i let go it stops working for abit then randomly works again.

Put fresh batterys in. Checked wires. Same issue.

Ive been planning on upgrading my truck over winter.

Is this just a worn out servo issue or some other problem?

If its the servo is there a recommended one for throttle brakes

Last edited by a moderator:
I used that savox 1258 in my nitro for a while, it is super fast which is nice for throttle/brakes. The one @WoodiE suggested is waterproof which is a really nice feature as well if you want to run in some damp weather.

I only buy waterproof/resistant servos now. On a MT, I tend to go with a servo closer to 200oz and metal gear due to the strain the TRS and brakes put on it. A servo that is running at it's limit tends to die faster than one that is stronger than you need.

I run a hitec 985MG in 2 of my nitro's for t/b and have had them for many years without issue. It's a metal geared, o-ring sealed servo with 172oz @6V. The 985MG doesn't exist for sale now, but they replaced it with a digital version, 5985.

I use one of the savox 0231MG's as well in one of my revos for steering. It works fine, but you have to run a glitch buster cap with it as it tends to cause a brown out with the receiver. With the cap, it does fine.

I only buy waterproof/resistant servos now. On a MT, I tend to go with a servo closer to 200oz and metal gear due to the strain the TRS and brakes put on it. A servo that is running at it's limit tends to die faster than one that is stronger than you need.

I run a hitec 985MG in 2 of my nitro's for t/b and have had them for many years without issue. It's a metal geared, o-ring sealed servo with 172oz @6V. The 985MG doesn't exist for sale now, but they replaced it with a digital version, 5985.

I use one of the savox 0231MG's as well in one of my revos for steering. It works fine, but you have to run a glitch buster cap with it as it tends to cause a brown out with the receiver. With the cap, it does fine.

Issue I'm having is i live in canada. The odd servo thatd prob work tends to have no ratings.

Any chance u could recommend one from here

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?k=hitec+servo

So i am going to get a better servo regardless.

However i am just wondering if its a servo issue or something else.

Here is a video of the problem

Last edited:
That video would suggest a heat issue. Running full brake is probably the hardest thing on a servo since your almost stalling the servo to do so, which builds heat in the board and motor. Then after a few seconds of sitting, it cools enough to work again and stops more frequently because your right at a temp limit. Would explain why it works fine for a minute or so, then stops/starts more frequently once it has the issue.

Issue I'm having is i live in canada. The odd servo thatd prob work tends to have no ratings.

Any chance u could recommend one from here

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?k=hitec+servo
https://www.amazon.ca/Hitec-37985S-...ie=UTF8&qid=1511395624&sr=1-24&keywords=hitec

That would be comparable to the HS-985MG that I run. They discontinued mine and went to a 5985, now discontinued that and have the 7985. At 6V, it's plenty strong and fast for t/b duties. From what I recall, all hitec servos come with a servo horn pack. However, you'd have to get some collars/springs to redo your linkage as the stock servo horn on the savage I think is splined for futaba.

I use traxxas's sliders on mine, not the best, better to use plastic:
2013-0316-SavageX-TankSideHigh.jpg

I had plastic sliders on my old savage:
2010-0410-ThrottleLinkage.jpg

Plastic ones tend to wear less and bind less. Also removes metal on metal static.

Just a thought......
if you switch channel 1 and 2, then use the steering control to do the same test you just did, you can then eliminate the radio and receiver as the problem.
I got so sick of replacing servos in my cars that I go overboard when replacing them. I like to use savox, metal geared, waterproof high torque servos, they are pricey but I haven't needed to replace the ones in my Savage flux, axial Yeti, Wraith, or ECX Amp yet.

https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/produc...MIov6Rl_Pm1wIVBNlkCh0P8AADEAkYAiABEgKONfD_BwE

Hope you figure it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Back