Servo Installation!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoD

I figured, since I'm in the midst of installing servo's for my Savage, I'd just toss a small bit of information in here to show the correct way (in my eyes) to install a servo. We'll go with the throttle servo since it's easy to see.

First, take off the horn and remove the screws holding the servo in place. Take the servo out, and the easy steps are complete! Make sure you pull only the bad servo's connector out of your receiver. The connector on the throttle can be a little difficult to get through the hole in the radio box, but be patient and it will come out.

Now to install your servo, just replace in opposite steps that you used to remove it, all except for mounting the horn.

Now, the best way I've found to get a good mount, where you have it adjusted just right is to do the following steps!

1. Turn the radio on, then the receiver. Make sure you have them both powered on.

2. Move the servo's through their ranges, from left to right and full throttle to full brake a few times. Now, set your adjusters on your radio to where you like them (usually the middle of the setting).

3. Now, leave the radio gear on and take the horn and mount it where it's in the center, so you have it in the middle of it's range. Make sure you have it centered and press the horn onto the servo.

4. Put the screw into the horn and tighten it down!

5. In the case of the throttle servo, sit it down on the ground and roll it back and forth testing the brakes. Make sure the brakes aren't dragging it, there should be no difference in no throttle to full throttle with it rolling. Make sure the brakes at least work for you, if they don't you may need to move the servo horn a little.

6. If the brakes aren't strong enough for you, adjust them to your liking and test it the same way.

Now, you're done! New servo installed and you're ready to rock!

Something I like to do, as I did in this process was to take the horn from the new servo and place it on the old servo. I now can really see how badly the servo was stripped, and yes, it was BAD.

I hope these pictures help you as well. There are four that I just took during the 10 minute installation process. You can use them to see how I completed the process. :)

As I do the steering servo, I'll snap a few pictures of the process as well. Just so everyone can have a chance to see how I complete my steering servo replacement as well. :)

That's why I'm here :) Almost got the steering done.. Just thinking about some changes I want to make for the steering assembly :)

A good way to take (and keep) play out of the steering is to replace the plastic bushings in the steering link.

j7vj7p.jpg

also it helps to cut the slot a little larger that the steering servo wires go through in the radio box. 9 times out of 10 the wires get mangled in there and its a PITB to fix them.

Steering Servo Pics

Like I said, I'd add the pics of the steering servo, and here they are!

Two are of the stripped steering servo too, you can see how bad it tore the teeth off the gear! LOL

looks like you really put a hurt on that servo

oregonmud, what did you use to replace the plastic bushings in the steering link?

looks like you really put a hurt on that servo

oregonmud, what did you use to replace the plastic bushings in the steering link?

Shhhhh. don't tell anybody. But they are off the Traxxas camber links from my T-maxx.:stickspank:

And AoD. I bet you had MONSTER steering with that horn on your servo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one? lol I've tried several, I like this carbon composite one I found at the LHS, it's about 2mm longer than the ones that came with the HiTech 645mg, And it seems to work great for me. Steers like a champ! :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back