Screw Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevage

I'm lookin for a good high strength screw kit.I was going to get the irc ones but don't see them on there site anymore.I'm interested in any of these screw kits(slapmafro,new era,or tony's)Which one is the best?

From what I have heard it very easy to duplicate a high dollar kit by just going to the right hardware stores and finding what you need there.
Maybe some members here will elaborate for us?
Dave

I buy lots of screws from Tony's but will be buying screws in bulk from Mcmaster-Carr from now on as they are much cheaper this way. The kits are expensave for what they are. SMF's kit looks very nice and If your going to buy a kit instead of make it your self then I sigguest them to support our forum members as doesgo(Bruce) is from SMF.

I was actually doing some research on this the other day. I figured for all the machine threaded screws in the savage, to buy a box of 100 stainless screws is around 9$ average cost. Mcmaster carr has just about all the same lengths as the savage uses.

Whenever I need a spare screw, I always go to Ace Hardware. They have all the sizes and lengths in both stainless and black 12.7 or whatever it is. For the rotostart back plate I did have to use flat head screws however.

I'll most likely just get a kit(more conveniant).Which is the strongest of the three that i mentioned.

I would say SMF but I'm also all for anything that will support HPISF :beer: (my home evertime I'm home)

Please stay away from the SS screws as they are soft. The are fine as far as for the truck but once you get a stuborn screw you will understand as the head will strip out easily. You are better off going with the class 12.9 or 10.9 it 12.9 isn't available.

Tony's Screws kits and the SMF kits use essentially the same stuff, as far as I know Tony sources much of his hardware from McMaster, as do we.

The socket-head cap screws are 12.9, the button-head and flat-head screws are 10.9, all black oxide. Do NOT get stainless, as Larsen said they're soft and will bend and the heads will strip out.

You can go to McMaster and get the same stuff we get, that's no secret. That said, our Savage kit includes, for example, five of the M3x12mm socket-head cap screws, IIRC. Do you really want to buy a box of 100 from McMaster if you only need five? Or a box of 25 M3x50mm cap screws when you only need four? I believe the largest quantity of any particular screw in our kit is 31 of the M4x10mm button-head screw, which includes some extras technically not needed to build the truck. Even in that case if you bought a box you'd have about 75 extras.

Again, if you want to buy the hardware yourself and make up the kits, that's great. It's not that difficult, and I will say it's awesome to have a virtually endless supply of hardware on hand at any given time! However, a box of 100 screws is going to cost you somwhere between $6 and $12, typically. Multiply that by the 20 or so different screw sizes on a truck and you can see how expensive it can be. Just something to keep in mind.

As for getting stuff from the hardware store....I'm all for hardware stores, believe me. If you need a screw or two now and then, they're indispensable. However most don't carry the tough steel alloy you should use on RC vehicles and if they do you're typically paying by the screw, and they aren't cheap!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the ones from the SMF store on the one I just built and I will use them for my next build as well.

Hey doesgo,I'm gettin a screw kit from you very soon.I'm definitely gonna need one because my screws are starting to show some wear.Do you have them in stock yet?

I wonder where FLM gets their Hex Head Screws for their chassis. I like them!! And yeah the kit from SMF is a priority.

stevage,
Yes, we were restocked on Tuesday so we're ready to assemble some more kits!

XXX,
I think FLM gets their stuff from McMaster as well.

Ok,thanks.How about the FLM extended chassis,I also saw your out of those.I would be interested in buying a set.

Good question stevage,I have been considereing the set myself recently.Now I no where to get the ones I want.I'll speak to you soon Bruce!

Sorry for the delayed reply, Stevage! We've got the FLM #45100 Extended LCG chassis kit in stock.

Looking forward to it, Doug!

Thats alright,I ordered a set from you as soon as i saw you had them in stock.WHAT A GREAT STORE!!!!!!

Oh, THAT's you! I'm a regular Sherlock Holmes. LOL! Thanks for saying so, stevage. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back