Savvy XL fuel tank upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVT73

So, the lack of run time & mid-tank lean issues have spurred me to upgrade/increase the size of my fuel cell. I found this HB Lightning Street 225cc fuel tank at a little hobby shop in Wheeling, WV @NightFlier X4.6 would/should know the one? Anywho, this bad boy should be the ticket to extended runs. I've got a few mounting bracket ideas to make it work, it will just take some time to either rig up some brackets or machine one out of aluminum. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress.
IMG_0103.JPG

So, the lack of run time & mid-tank lean issues have spurred me to upgrade/increase the size of my fuel cell. I found this HB Lightning Street 225cc fuel tank at a little hobby shop in Wheeling, WV @NightFlier X4.6 would/should know the one? Anywho, this bad boy should be the ticket to extended runs. I've got a few mounting bracket ideas to make it work, it will just take some time to either rig up some brackets or machine one out of aluminum. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress.
View attachment 3726
Would you be talking about TK Hobby?

I've been a mad man at the work bench and racking my brain on how to mount this HB Lightning fuel cell! Well I had a bit of lightning strike in the brain. Digging through my spare parts I found a few fuel tank mounts and bang, why re-invent the wheel? By measuring and positioning the standard front bracket it works! Just needed to do a little dremeling, prefitting, scribing, & drilling! Then voila...almost looks factory. See pic's, now I'll have 225cc and hopefully no mid tank lean. Plus there is no shortage of factory tank mounts & the mod to the bracket is easy enough. Now all that's left is new nitro lines.
IMG_0293.JPG IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG

Very nice, didn't even know that tank existed. I just did a hellfire tank and it worked out nice. Front mount was perfect, had to make the rear one.20180221_164931.jpg 20180221_164927.jpg 20180221_164918.jpg 20180221_164940.jpg

The XL chassis makes that so much easier. Gives you a ton more room back there.

This is a standard X with an OFNA 125cc tank:
2016-0603-SavageX-OFNA19076Tank.jpg

Not nearly as much room for activities. lol

That's the first tank I used with my last savage, was pretty easy and straight forward just short run times.

That's the first tank I used with my last savage, was pretty easy and straight forward just short run times.
Yep, very short. Wasn't as bad back in the day when I ran an OS21RG in it. Then I saw the light of powerful engines making things more entertaining... the LRP28 took my 14 minute run time down to about 10... and the LRP30 took a couple more off. Oh well, that's what multiple pit bottles are for. :)

I hear you, I could only get about 8 mins out of mine. Seemed to go so fast through it lol

I have had great success with an O.S. engines pressure chamber between the pipe and tank. It stops the mid engine lean problem.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back