Savage XL won't shift into 3rd gear!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagemanXL

Hey guys,
Since changing to 30% nitro, my SavageXL will not shift into 3rd gear, and 2nd gear is shifting way out there. I have adjusted everything according to the manual, 2nd gear is adjusted to 3 1/4 turns from flush and 3rd is adjusted to 5 turns from flush. I have run it several times and wound 3rd gear adjustment screw counterclockwise and clockwise with no help. It's behaving like my old Savage 4.6, 2nd shifts at top end.

Does anyone have any ideas why it won't shift into 3rd?

Thanks guys.

Cheers.
SavagemanXL.

the fuel switch wouldnt make it not change gears other than you have to retune with the new fuel... and so if the tune is off and the rpms arent high enough your trans wont switch gears ... also it might be switching gears alot faster with the higher fuel.. you sure your not hitting all threee gears with first and s3econd being so fast it don't sound like its hitting them?

I agree with max most likely it is shifting right from 1st to second the moment you hit the gas. Turn second out to shift later and make third so it would never be able to shift into it. Tune second gear to perfect than start working third gear shift point. You have to tune one gear at a time and ease on the gas real slow so as to notice exactly where they are shifting. Honestly I am not a fan of the three speed at all and my more powerful trucks have only single speed flux trans in them. Depending on what motor you are running you may want to consider changing gear sets.

Thanks guys.
The tune is spot on, and perhaps it is shifting faster than I can tell.
But even holding the truck off the ground and giving it a 'rev tune' there is only one noticeable shift, and it hits hard/harsh. The shift is so hard that the entire truck torques up, even when running on the ground. When it shifts, it does a hard right turn, but that could be due to the locker in the rear diff.

It used to shift 2nd and 3rd no worries, just as it should, so it's got me frustrated and I've tried everything in the book to no avail.

Could I have put the shift clutches in the wrong way? I heard that the pic in the book is wrong, could this be it?

Cheers.
:beer:

It could be been a long time since I have put one together. Sounds like you may have 2nd tuned to far out and third to far in so it is shifting 1-3.

OK guys, I've set everything back to stock, am yet to try it out, my throttle servo has packed it in!poop

I'll have to replace the servo and let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

I never had that issue goin from 20% to 30% but i noticed today mine shifts but cant hear. I just slowly accelerate an i can hear it.

Yep always have to go slow to hear it if shift points are set right. Remember you will have to fine tune the motor everytime you run and as temps change during the day. Colder it gets the richer the settings cause the air is more dense.

Latest posts

Members online

Back