Savage XL Servos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDA

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to change the Servos of my Savage XL 5.9.
Today it the trottle/brake has stopped responding (painful crash on my leg XD) and also the steering (the original one are either defect or I don't know, you can barely steer).

I've no Idea which one I should buy (KG/Sec) for the Servo and which one for the Throttle/brake.

Anyone has suggestions ?

But for the steering & brake/throttle do you use the same torque?
Also I was wondering if for the steering was better to use a waterproof servo.

well I use them both for steering and throttle, if you plan on running thru water then you will need a waterproof servo, but for general uses they work just great.....

there are water resistant servos out there for cheap also, just look around e bay and they are there....

I still use the plastic arms, I prefer to have a known breakage point on my stuff, it will possibly save the servo from a damaging impact.....

I still use the plastic arms, I prefer to have a known breakage point on my stuff, it will possibly save the servo from a damaging impact.....
Good point, haven't taught of that!
A question that is a bit different from the initial one...
The Savage came with a 1200Nihm 6V battery - could I change it with a 2S LiPo? (a local seller told me it's not a problem, but I saw that the 2S are 7.4V)

Good point, haven't taught of that!
A question that is a bit different from the initial one...
The Savage came with a 1200Nihm 6V battery - could I change it with a 2S LiPo? (a local seller told me it's not a problem, but I saw that the 2S are 7.4V)

You will need a voltage regulator to set the voltage to 6 volts or it can fry servos and receivers.....

You will need a voltage regulator to set the voltage to 6 volts or it can fry servos and receivers.....
I've already used it, and both servo and receiver are fine; but If it's safer I'll go back to NIHM batteries..
How long can you run it with a 1600 6V Nihm pack? Cause I don't want to have to stop every 10mins XD
(also a LiPo voltage regulator like what? Cause I saw some, but I don't know how much A it should have :S )

I can run my Nitro trucks all day on one charge of my Hump pack batteries
With a pack of 1600Nihm 6V?
Cause mine was always down in a 10min or so (also I think the servos where defect cause they made always a strange sound... :S )
Now I ordered 2servos 20kg (JX DC5821LV) - so I don't know how much time it will last with a 1600NiHm.

Last edited:
if your 1600 mah NiMH pack is only lasting 10 mins then there is obviously something wrong with it, I charge my packs the night before bashing and they last all day and still have voltage when I am done for the day. and just FYI there is no such thing as too much servo torque, usually the more the better, but usually 200 ozin is more than plenty to work steering and throttle

if your 1600 mah NiMH pack is only lasting 10 mins then there is obviously something wrong with it, I charge my packs the night before bashing and they last all day and still have voltage when I am done for the day. and just FYI there is no such thing as too much servo torque, usually the more the better, but usually 200 ozin is more than plenty to work steering and throttle
Thanks for the answer.
I bought those one: JX DC5821LV they should be good I think.. or not? :D
You suggest me to go back to NiMH then? (as said I don't know how many Ampere the voltage regulator should have)

just set the regulator to 6 volts, the amps will take care of themselves, or go back to NiMH and fully charge your pack before going out....

just set the regulator to 6 volts, the amps will take care of themselves, or go back to NiMH and fully charge your pack before going out....
Can't find any regulator which make an output of 6V ...
You're charging your 1600NiMH pack with how much A?
(also how much % of nitro do you use? I'm currently using a 25% on the Savage XL 5.9 - it's too much or... ?)

Last edited:
Rule of thumb is you charge at the same rate as the capacity, so 1.6A max for a 1600mah receiver pack. However, charging at a lower rate extends it's life span because it's not working it as hard. I usually charge mine at .5A the night before or at most 1A the morning of in case I forgot to charge.

I also usually make it a day of bashing (1000cc's of fuel in a big block) usually on a pack. However, the last time I took my 21TM revo out, my receiver pack did die on me, but I think it's because it's 2+ years old and isn't taking a full charge anymore. I bought replacements for both of my revo's recently, but haven't installed them yet. Just cheap intelect 1600mah packs are what I usually get.

I use 25% nitro in everything now. I used to use 20%, but one of my engines called for 25% in the manual, so instead of keeping 2 kinds of fuel around, I just run 25% in everything. I haven't noticed any issues because of it other than I get a bit more power and cleaner running with a fatter tune. I do run cooler plugs though, usually medium temp odonnel plugs (odonnel purple).

Rule of thumb is you charge at the same rate as the capacity, so 1.6A max for a 1600mah receiver pack. However, charging at a lower rate extends it's life span because it's not working it as hard. I usually charge mine at .5A the night before or at most 1A the morning of in case I forgot to charge.

I also usually make it a day of bashing (1000cc's of fuel in a big block) usually on a pack. However, the last time I took my 21TM revo out, my receiver pack did die on me, but I think it's because it's 2+ years old and isn't taking a full charge anymore. I bought replacements for both of my revo's recently, but haven't installed them yet. Just cheap intelect 1600mah packs are what I usually get.

I use 25% nitro in everything now. I used to use 20%, but one of my engines called for 25% in the manual, so instead of keeping 2 kinds of fuel around, I just run 25% in everything. I haven't noticed any issues because of it other than I get a bit more power and cleaner running with a fatter tune. I do run cooler plugs though, usually medium temp odonnel plugs (odonnel purple).

Hello Thanks for the answer.
I'll go with the 25% (but I saw there are different 25% - some with more oil some with less...)
ATM I've the fuel of StrikerTeam (was the only one the store had in stock).

back to the battery, I saw that the pack for the BAJA it's a 4600mAh 6V.
Since the Voltage is always the same - would it be harmful to use it?
Or it's better to use always a 1600mAh ?

back to the battery, I saw that the pack for the BAJA it's a 4600mAh 6V.
Since the Voltage is always the same - would it be harmful to use it?
Or it's better to use always a 1600mAh ?

As you say, the important part is the voltage. As long as you can fit the battery in your box, you can use as large of capacity as you'd like.

The baja pack is sub-c sized cells, which is why it's such a high capacity. It won't fit in the receiver box. Normal receiver pack cells are 2/3A cells.

Latest posts

Members online

Back