Savage XL Midtank/header tank experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunkenMetal

So I was messing around today with my Savvy XL, and my wife’s RS4 Nitro3. I was sitting there looking at the savvy, and the RS4, and it hit me, this little tank it should fit behind the motor. So I hold between the TVP's and it fits. So out comes the zip ties and fuel line......now this is just experimental, I am going to test it out in the back yard, and look around to see what other tank options are out there. Before I start fabbing brackets, and bending sheet metal for a heat shield. So far the only drawbacks to this is, the tank is only 75cc but hey the stock tank leans out about half way through, and 75cc’s is 5cc’s less than half the stock tank. Also it gets in the way of the rotostart so pull starter would have to be used.

DSC_1080.jpg

DSC_1081.jpg

DSC_1082.jpg

So while I am tinkering with the RS4 tank, I though hey, why not convert it into a header tank……. So I put the stock tank back on, ran some fuel line and it should work…..

DSC_1084.jpg

DSC_1085.jpg

DSC_1086.jpg

So what do you guys think?

why not just do a midtank?

I like to be different I guess, and if I can do it for like 40$ why not.

I just got back from running it with the RS4 tank. It works great, I never fill the stock tank up all the way because of the mid tank lean, so it really wasn't that much difference... but yeah I am going to do some research on other tanks sizes.:jamout:

Tomorrow if I get a chance I am going to try out it as a header tank....:Xfingers:

hey what tire/wheels you runnin? I want to change mine on my xl.
got any full pics of it?'

hey what tire/wheels you runnin? I want to change mine on my xl.
got any full pics of it?'

2rmwkdd.jpg

I like the idea of it being a header tank better than it being the only tank sunkenmetal-Great job!
I like to see people doing their own things. :resp:

Basically if i was to mount a tank aft of the motor i would use a larger tank, i am just using the RS4 tank to get an idea of tank size/layout and mounting options... i have a few ideas.......:motorcycle:

um.......... I mean got any full shots to see how the tank and header tank looks from afar?

how's that?

So ive decided to just stick with my dual tanks until I decide witch mid tank mod I want to go with... so far its working pretty well… I was digging through my spare parts and I found some stuff to mount the tank with so no more ghetto zip tie mounting. There were some drive train and tank clearance issues mounting it with zip ties anyway.

I used spare parts from my RS4 Nitro 3….

Two body posts Part#85032
Two binder head screws M3x15mm Part#Z569
Four Body clips Part#6122
One Fuel tank Part#87021

I mounted the body Posts to the rear bulkhead lower plate using holes that are already in the part from the factory, so I didn’t have to drill.
DSC_1087.jpg

DSC_1089.jpg

DSC_1091.jpg

Then so the tank would fit the body post’s I used a body ream to increase the diameter of the mounting holes…
DSC_1092.jpg

Then put two body clips so the tank would sit at the Height I wanted, put the tank on the body posts then the second set of body clips to secure the tank….
DSC_1094.jpg

DSC_1095.jpg

So that’s it what do you guys think?

What the heck has been happening to your rear/center cup? Its all melted like its been rubbing on something. And it has quite a notch in it already. How much fuel have you put through that truck?

The tank looks really good BTW. You did a good job cleaning it up. It looks like it was made like that now.

What the heck has been happening to your rear/center cup? Its all melted like its been rubbing on something. And it has quite a notch in it already. How much fuel have you put through that truck?

The tank looks really good BTW. You did a good job cleaning it up. It looks like it was made like that now.

Thats what happens when a rock gets got in the there..... rubbed pretty good... Ive got about 2gallons through it....

darn rocks anyway..... I thought the cup was worn on the inside from the dogbone but now that I look at it again it looks fine. My bad.

I don’t really understand why HPI didn’t utilize that space behind the motor better with a new tank design to resolve this half tank lean issue once and for all!

Gavin

Killer job sunkenmetal! I know lots of us have wondered about some kind of rear tank on the extended Savvys...you are the first I've seen who's actually put something there! Props to you...:resp:

Thanks judge, i like using parts i already have to do things.... Learned to do it in the Military, do more with less, adapt and overcome.....

I don’t really understand why HPI didn’t utilize that space behind the motor better with a new tank design to resolve this half tank lean issue once and for all!

Gavin

DAMN good question!

R&D is exspensive, if they made a new tank, have to make new molds test the molds, then go into production... thats only reason i can think of.

Well when i was out bashing the new big bores i landed way hard and that little tank blew up... so i was gonna do a mid tank with a hell fire... but when i got my hellfire tank in the mail, i was looking at it, and was well until i make up my mind witch mid tank i want to do, or if i do it at all i just used some .0625" aluminum sheet laying around and just used some tin snips and a hand drill to make up a quick adapter to hold the hell fire tank in the stock position, yeah its a hack :yellowhack: but hey it works....

DSC_1598.jpg

DSC_1599.jpg

DSC_1600.jpg

looks good to me

can this tank eliminate the halph tank lean?

I would think so its not the Stock Savage fuel tank, it is the Hell Fire fuel tank.....

Or are you asking about the little duel tank, yes it did cure my Mid Tank lean Problem. and it added an extra 75cc of fuel...

I like the looks of those Big Bores- Just a thought - Why did HPI not thread the bores is beyound me. Bet it will be the next upgrade, marketing I guess. Truck setup looks great.

Thanks ]-[op..... my wife doesnt think its so great, ive spent alot of money on it....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back