Savage xl bogs down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyline1473

Hi
Can someone help me please my rig keeps bogging down ive included a video if anyone can tell me which needle to adjust and wether to richen or lean.
Thanks

Sounds lean. Do you have the head wrapped with anything? If so, with what and what are your temps at the glow plug?

I hate running big blocks in the winter... small blocks are a pain, but big blocks are worse in my experience. Too much surface area that cools off too fast in the cold causing a tuning nightmare if you care about the engine at all. If you don't care, then wrap the head with tin-foil and tune as best you can, but odds are, it's not going to run great no matter what you do until the ambient temps warm up.

Then when it warms up outside, the wear/damage caused when running in the cold will come to light and it still won't tune.

I kept cheap/tired engines just for winter running and eventually quit trying to run big blocks. Had better luck running a revo with a 3.3 on it I didn't care about in the winter.

Thanks for reply only reason i took it out is coz of the snow just to try it out. Temp i don't know exactly but did the spit on head test and it stays for few seconds before evaporating as for being lean its still factory setting but hsn 1/8 cw.

i haven't run in winter, I'm not the greatest tuner, and too worried about messing up the motor. i sure as heck hate breaking in new motors, besides the cost.

as far as your bogging, sounds way lean, starving for fuel. bottom end lsn . that gurgleing sound is the fuel in the motor, cooking, or boiling. i had a lrp .28 spec 3 and i had the half tank lean problem with it. i remember it having the same problems.

as far as your bogging, sounds way lean, starving for fuel. bottom end lsn . that gurgleing sound is the fuel in the motor, cooking, or boiling. i had a lrp .28 spec 3 and i had the half tank lean problem with it. i remember it having the same problems.
My LRP28 and 30 did not care for the stock tank at all. I ended up using a 125cc OFNA buggy tank that was more uniform in shape from the top to bottom.

hey olds,, I cant remember, did you mount that tank in stock location, using fabbed mounts. I am not having problems so far with picco but if I do I will probably do that

hey olds,, I cant remember, did you mount that tank in stock location, using fabbed mounts. I am not having problems so far with picco but if I do I will probably do that

Yeah, L-mount for the rear out of 1/4" steel round bar and a standard 4mm long bolt in the throttle pivot for the front. I'm running the plastic big bore shocks as well, which gives me more room in the rear since the shocks are behind the tower.

2016-0603-SavageX-OFNA19076Tank.jpg

2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076TankFront.jpg

2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076TankRear.jpg

I made sure to drill out the pivot post clear through before running the bolt through, pretty sure it would split otherwise. Then washers/fuel tube for cushion and a locknut that is just tight enough so as not to pinch the pivot and causing it to bind.

Hard to find tanks these days though now that OFNA is no longer around.

I only get about 7 minutes on a tank, but it's a fun 7 minutes and the tune is consistent from full to empty. I also have an associated primer bulb in the line behind the shock tower, so sort of adds a little reservoir above the carb. It ran fine without it though too. I was trying without it first just to eliminate issues.

Started with the old savage tank and new lines I had that was used and no primer, ran like crap.
Then the tank that came on it when I got it that had been sitting for a while, ran like crap.
Then a new savage tank, ran like crap.
Then this tank. Ran good for 6-8 tanks, then all of the sudden, ran awful. Found out it was because my fuel line was getting pinched by the bumper mount because the c-clip fell off. Unpinched the line, bent the snot out of a large body clip to use instead, then it ran great again.

Then put the primer back in for convenience and it still runs great.

This is with the LRP30. I never re-tried the LRP28 that I started with... odds are, it's ok and my issue with it was also fuel delivery, so glad I didn't throw it away in a fit of rage...

Last edited:
Yeah, I just saw they were only 125,, I may try raising my tank or getting one of those 200 or 250 cc tanks and fab something in the same general area I don't want to put in the servo area. I have plenty aluminum to cut up and nylon at my disposal, I work in a body shop and if it won't work it's just the cost of tank and time

If you figure something out that works well, post up photo's. I don't have a lot of machining type tools, but I do have time to fidget and a dremel. I'd love to find a 150cc+ tank that would fit without a lot of headache just to increase run time.

That is the way I like to do things I don't like to redesign I just want a good solid upgrade without a lot of fuss I also have pics of my Savage X where I lightened it up a lot without sacrificing any durability if you want I can post the pics I have in my phone and I have done this eight years ago and still have not broken anything

I used a Dremel in these areas with a carbide tip I actually took out quite a bit of material in these areas and yes it did lighten the vehicle that in 8 years I have not broken anything I do have backups just in case especially in the Roto start area front and rear

Personally, I don't see the point in "lightening" a savage. I mean, I haven't seen anything/anyone posting anywhere about "racing" MT's in the past 5 years and the savage is really just a bashing machine. So, shaving a few ounces off a 15lb+ truck just seems like a waste of time to me.

For my needs, if a mod is not going to make it tougher, then it's not needed. :)

I do it because the friends I race with I always want the best that I can possibly get so I'm always in the lead and I get bored staring at it like I say I'm always tinkering around with things give me something to do

20170116_223752.jpg

olds, I came across this tank tonight, it is long and narrow and not deep which I think would be best bet to try for a side mount tank, for the price I will probably get it. I have never come across this tank before, it's 14.00 with ship, just wish I could get specs, searched all forums and no mods with this tank, have you seen or this one? Thank goodness for down time! Lol

Oh , by the way it's 210 cc

Darn, if I could put all info in one reply it would be amazing,,,, it's a kyosho 1/7 scorpion xxl.tank

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, you going to try it out? Dollarhobbyz has it for like $12 I think (srry closed the tab I was looking at already lol)

just my 2copper pieces
Stock tank would be awesome If the fuel oulet was mounted in the middle of the tank vertically, AND most of the tank was mounted just a bit higher than the carb line

i just deal with the lean

Last edited:
well, the tank I bought didn't work! I was really hoping, just too wide at one end, I worked with that tank for a couple hours and tried everything. no luck !

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back