Savage XL 5.9 - Glow Plug Dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, I’m new to Nitro RC and got the Savage XL5.9 recently.
I did break in the engine, however , when I play , the glow plug always dead after one tank of fuel . I did change 3 glow plug, from original to OS no.8 , but all dead.

Does anyone can advise what are the possible issues?

🙏 thanks

I don’t have the thermal gun to check the temp, but seem it was not overheat, my hand can touch on it after it stopped. 20% nitro. Engine tuned quite rich , with enough smoke came out when running .

what you running, a K5.9 or a F5.9 mill. I have a few K5.9 ones and find that a No.3 or 4 plugs runs good in them. When using the cold plug as stated by HPI found the mill would cut out a lot.
Sounds like the mill is running abit hot, invest in a temp gun like Jamo suggests.
I use cheap old HSP plugs in all 4 of my 5.9s, 3 being K5.9s & 1 being an F5.9 and find the plugs last, only had one plug die in 14 months and that was due to the mill running very lean.

what you running, a K5.9 or a F5.9 mill. I have a few K5.9 ones and find that a No.3 or 4 plugs runs good in them. When using the cold plug as stated by HPI found the mill would cut out a lot.
Sounds like the mill is running abit hot, invest in a temp gun like Jamo suggests.
I use cheap old HSP plugs in all 4 of my 5.9s, 3 being K5.9s & 1 being an F5.9 and find the plugs last, only had one plug die in 14 months and that was due to the mill running very lean.
Hi, I ran with F5.9. Would try no.3/4 plug again. My friends also find it strange, while they guess there might be debris inside the mill….

One tank nitro kill one plug…so frustrated.

Hi, I ran with F5.9. Would try no.3/4 plug again. My friends also find it strange, while they guess there might be debris inside the mill….

One tank nitro kill one plug…so frustrated.
Don't think it would be debris inside the mill mate, Maybe once but not multiple times, would have killed the mill by now. Think it is running to lean, hot. Try backing the HSN off a minute or two and see if that helps. I know you say you have smoke from the pipe but these 5.9s do produce quite abit of oil from the pipe. Had the same issue with a F4.6 mill, was still smokey but kept popping glow plug like yours. Mill ran good didn't seem to be getting to hot to the touch but was running at 260°+ when hit with a gun. Backed the HSN off 2 minutes and problem went away.

Don't think it would be debris inside the mill mate, Maybe once but not multiple times, would have killed the mill by now. Think it is running to lean, hot. Try backing the HSN off a minute or two and see if that helps. I know you say you have smoke from the pipe but these 5.9s do produce quite abit of oil from the pipe. Had the same issue with a F4.6 mill, was still smokey but kept popping glow plug like yours. Mill ran good didn't seem to be getting to hot to the touch but was running at 260°+ when hit with a gun. Backed the HSN off 2 minutes and problem went away.
Thank you Will try. What’s the factory settle of the needle valve? Cause I was turn anti clockwise one loop for rich…do u mean need to do more rich for 1-2 mins ?

Thank you Will try. What’s the factory settle of the needle valve? Cause I was turn anti clockwise one loop for rich…do u mean need to do more rich for 1-2 mins ?
Think of the needle as the hour hand of a clock, I make small changes to my engines after they are warmed up, in clockwise is less fuel out counterclockwise is more fuel... do not try to make changes in mixture unless your idle is correct (about 1mm gap in the slide) and the engine is warmed up, you can find tuning guides in the engine section of the forum

If you have a F5.9 then there is no middle needle this is only on the K5.9, and when I say 1 or 2 minutes think of it as a clock face, 1 minute or 1 hour is the same. Example, 15 minutes or 3 hours would be the same as a quarter of a turn on the needle. These jets need very like adjustment to make a correction in the settings, to many people wind them in & out to much at a time when trying to adjust.

Think of the needle as the hour hand of a clock, I make small changes to my engines after they are warmed up, in clockwise is less fuel out counterclockwise is more fuel... do not try to make changes in mixture unless your idle is correct (about 1mm gap in the slide) and the engine is warmed up, you can find tuning guides in the engine section of the forum
Looks like we were both explaining the same thing at the same time Jamo, LOL. Proves great minds must think alike.

I see . Thank you for your explanation, hope I can find the best tune soon. Will try from your suggestion, finger crossed .

Your get there in the end mate, when tuning the carb on any mill it takes time, more trail and error, no 2 mill tune the same, but small adjustments are the way to do it. A minute at a time, it can make all the difference.

Your get there in the end mate, when tuning the carb on any mill it takes time, more trail and error, no 2 mill tune the same, but small adjustments are the way to do it. A minute at a time, it can make all the difference.
Thank you, encouraging words 😁

Latest posts

Members online

Back