Savage X4.6 has a mind of its own

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayslayer

So I finally got some fuel in the mail today so I fired up my Savage X4.6 to do some bashing and the thing had a mind of it’s own. I started to do some circles in the yard to warm her up and it took off and I had no control of it.

I just charged my hump pack but when I shut it down to inspect it I noticed the battery light bar was down to only one green light and when I applied the throttle or the steering it would go into the orange.

I’m thinking the pack might be bad because I let it sit for about 8 months without charging it. The battery is only a year old. It’s the Venom 6v hump pack 1600mah.

Any ideas what could be causing this other than a bad hump pack? Thanks

I want to add that I’ve been running the truck for the last month with no problems until today. I’ve probably charged my pack 2-3 times in the last month.

Does sound like the pack has a bad cell or two. You can try fully discharging/charging it a couple times to see if it picks up any life.

My old tenergy packs lost a lot of their life being on the shelf for a year. They weren't used much after they were installed. The one in one of my revo's only would store about 500mah after cycling it a couple times. I replaced it with a new one, which I cycled twice before installing and it was rated at 1600mah, but took 1700 or so from dead on a bulb. So guessing I get at least 1400mah of useful voltage out of it.

I got a couple other new ones to go in my other nitros as they are likely dead too.

So I got a new hump pack but I’m still having problems. My throttle servo also stopped working so I got a new one and installed it yesterday but after running about a half a tank it started glitching again. Sometimes it would be unresponsive and sometimes it would throttle on its own. The battery light would also go way down to almost the orange even though I just charged it. I ordered a glitch buster so I’m hoping this fixes the problem but if not I’m out of ideas. Anyone else ever had this problem?

The original servo that I was running for the throttle was the steering service that came with my truck, SF-20W. I replaced my steering servo with a HiTec HS-7955TG and moved the SF20W to the throttle. A week ago the SF20W stopped responding so I purchased a Annimos 25kg digital servo off Amazon. I put it in yesterday and it was working good for a few minutes and then it started glitching again and got worse the longer I drove it to the point it started throttling by itself so I stopped and shut it down. Then I started testing the gas and steering with the engine off and it seemed fine and then it went dead, no lights on the light bar and wouldn’t turn back on. The battery is a Venom 6V 1600mah hump pack.

I just charged the pack right now and it turns on now and everything seems to be working fine but it did this yesterday. Once I started driving it is when things got glitchy. I’ve got a glitch buster coming in the mail today so I’ll give that a try to see if it helps.

Those two servos together pull around 6A when under load. Glitch buster may help some. Could also be the pack is old/sat on a shelf for a long time and needs a couple cycles to get to max capacity. What rate are you charging it at?

Whenever I get a new receiver pack these days, I hook it up to a couple brake lights to drain it, charge it hard at 1A, drain, and charge a couple times before installing it. Then I usually charge at .5A to use. With nitro not being as prevalent, I have a feeling the receiver packs we are buying are old stock that has sat for a while. It's not like it was 20 years ago when nitro ruled all.

My charger is only 1amp or 2amp and I always charge at 1amp. I just jimmy rigged a light bulb so I’ll put my old battery on it and drain and charge it a few time and we’ll see if that helps.

I hope I don’t have to go LiPo because then I would have to get a new battery and charger. I would imagine a lot of people are running two hi torque servo’s in there savages with 6v batteries with no problems. And the weird thing is my truck was fine running this setup for a least a gallon with no problems, I don’t get why it just started doing this.

My charger is only 1amp or 2amp and I always charge at 1amp. I just jimmy rigged a light bulb so I’ll put my old battery on it and drain and charge it a few time and we’ll see if that helps.

I hope I don’t have to go LiPo because then I would have to get a new battery and charger. I would imagine a lot of people are running two hi torque servo’s in there savages with 6v batteries with no problems. And the weird thing is my truck was fine running this setup for a least a gallon with no problems, I don’t get why it just started doing this.
Do you use the switch? You could try bypassing that and go straight to the receiver just to rule out it being stupid. Those little switches are cheap and nitro vibrates a lot. Combined with the dirty/damp environment, could just be the switch acting up on you.

I don't have a clue as to the amount of current my servos use... they are too old. Hitec 985MG for throttle/brake, JR Z8550 for steering.

Last edited:
may seem like a silly question but your radio system is not one of the older crystal driven radio systems is it??

Latest posts

Members online

Back