savage x with big red 28, when using the brake, the carb gets closed tighter and engine shuts off. how to fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

hello i have a savage x and yesterday i noticed the idle was super super high so today i found the idle screw and turned it out so that there was a tiny gap in the carb at idle. however i noticed that when i hit the brake the truck shuts off and then i checked closely and seems like when i hit the brake, it ends up closing the carb fairily tight and i guess thats my problem. any idea how to fix that? i am not sure if its end points on my remote or something else with linkage.

thanks!

If you look at the carb and see it close further as you apply the brakes then you need to adjust the linkage from the carb to the throttle arm, ie. making it longer by unscrewing the plastic ball end. This assumes the throttle servo is centred at neutral. Your idle rpm at neutral is not a true idle rpm, as the carb is not fully closed.

If you look at the carb and see it close further as you apply the brakes then you need to adjust the linkage from the carb to the throttle arm, ie. making it longer by unscrewing the plastic ball end. This assumes the throttle servo is centred at neutral. Your idle rpm at neutral is not a true idle rpm, as the carb is not fully closed.
So bascially when braking, the carb should not change at all, it should stay at idle correct?

So bascially when braking, the carb should not change at all, it should stay at idle correct?
It sounds by your description that your serve "neutral" position is mechanically setting your idle, not your engine's idle screw. This is incorrect. Like I described in the other idle thread you want your throttle servo endpoint adjustment to have a small amount of closing force on your carb slide, and you adjust the idle with the idle screw. 90% of the time when your truck stalls when hitting the brakes it because the idle screw is backed too far out and the idle is being held by the servo. Hitting the brakes further closes the carb slide causing the engine to stall. Here's my "Ofna" modified throttle and brake linkage. It allows the linkage to "free float" in the opposite directions and gives a much better throttle and brake response accelerating and decelerating / braking. It takes some time and understanding to correctly set up but it works perfect.

DSCF1333[1].JPG

Yes, and make sure you have a throttle return spring in place so idle does not jump around when setting idle

Latest posts

Members online

Back