Savage X starting issues...New member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busanate

Hello new to the forum here.. A little background before I get to the problem at hand.. I have the savage x with the f4.6 motor its roughly 5yrs old I had purchased it originally as a Christmas gift for my son but he never really took interest in it the truck has been thru less than 1 gallon of fuel in its lifetime before I put it in storage well I came across the truck in storage about a week ago and have found my own interest in it (especially after remembering what I paid for it..lol) and have decided to make it my own hobby so I pulled it out of storage and started the process of bringing it back to life. After getting a new fuel tank and lines and a new glow plug igniter and fuel I thought I would try to start it so using the roto start I attempted to get it to run but the roto start just freely spun it wasn't engaging the motor at all I assumed it was the one way bearing because I remember replacing that before and I still had a few new ones as spares but when I changed the bearing I still had the same issue so I took it back apart and removed the starting shaft it is definitely worn and u can see where the starting pin had jumped out of the groove that its supposed to seat in on the shaft I'm assuming this is what the problem is so I ordered a new starting shaft and, starting pin/pressure spring today... Here's my question is there anything else that could be causing this problem.? Once I receive and install these parts ive basically replaced the whole "Starting" components of the motor so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything else that could be causing the problem

does the engine turn freely when you turn the flywheel by hand??? most of these little engines suffer from fuel and oil residue left over gunking up and causing just the symptoms you describe, if it does not turn rather easily I would say to mechanically clean the engine using some denatured alcohol and reassemble it and try again...

yes it turns freely has some resistance but nothing over the top but I can see some gunk type residue in there on the crankshaft definitely needs a good cleaning I even thought about going ahead and replacing the crankshaft and starting fresh but I'm gonna give it a good clean and reassemble with the new parts when they arrive and see what happens the starting pin/pressure spring seemed a bit out of sorts too possibly from sitting for so long unused and not in a temperature controlled environment either so it was hot cold hot cold for like 5yrs so I was expecting to replace some parts and am thankful for this forum and both welcome and appreciate all the feedback and advice I can get

Sometimes the starting pin can stick in the crankshaft if it's been stored for a long time,
Just have a look and see if it moves freely in and out with the spring in behind it,
Unless it's badly worn or sticking the old one should be fine if cleaned up,
ie remove the surface rust and reinstall it,
Also a slight stretch of the Spring may help it engage a little better.

I never used/tore apart an HPI engine, so can't help you much there. I do know some of them have a weird starting pin like you mentioned.

Just checking to see what kind of receiver pack your using. If it's a NiMH pack, you may want to get a new one. Having one that wasn't maintained over 5 years probably won't hold a charge very well. Considering you can get them for $12-$20, it would be worthwhile to just replace it before you end up with an unexpected run away.

yes olds97 its a 1200 NiMH Venom 6.0 pack.. I'm glad you mentioned that because it reminded me that before I stored it I was having issues with the transmitter/receiver cutting out sporadically.. everything would be running fine then the truck would just stop still running but would not respond to any commands it might take a minute or two of playing with the controls on the transmitter then it would start working again.. this was a problem from the day I bought it so I took it back to the hobby shop I got it from and they replaced the transmitter/receiver with a Traxxis link 2.4GHz 2 channel (model: 2238) the problem still persisted after this but every time I took it to the hobby shop and they ran it it would work fine (of course) so any ideas what this could be.? or any suggestions on a transmitter/receiver that will work better.?

Odds are, that's the switch causing your issues. Those are cheap too. After 5 years of sitting in that environment, that's something I'd replace without a thought.

Any intermittent power issue like that is likely due to a bad connection somewhere. Especially if it's causing both servos to stop working.

I don't know any "good' budget radios. I've used (and went through hell) with spektrum for years to finally (FINALLY!) figure out range issues that plagued me forever with them. Was the stupid single wire receiver. Ever since I figured that out, I have been buying coaxial antenna receivers and now I can drive further than I can see. I'm currently using a spektrum DX3C transmitter for all 10 of my trucks. I tried a knock off "orange" spektrum compatible receiver from China for $8 a piece to figure out my range issue. Then they started dying on me and now I buy spektrum SR210 receivers as they die. They have a coaxial.

Anyway, if you want to try a spektrum, make sure it comes with a coaxial antenna on the receiver. I know they still sell some pretty cheap systems that should work well with the proper receiver. My radio is 3 channel, but the SR210 is 2 channel, it still works fine, but I obviously can't use the 3rd channel on the remote for anything. I think they have a DX4C and DX5C now.

The cheaper flysky stuff is supposed to be pretty good:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B2SVQ3M/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w

Cheaper if you go on hobbyking.

Last edited:
I am using a Flysky GT3B system on all my nitro models and have zero issue with range or interference.......

That's similar to mine, just newer, better without the longer antenna sticking up on the transmitter and 5 channel, more features... also a larger screen. It comes with a receiver with a coaxial antenna, SR415, so it should work well for you.

One thing that bugs me is that they did away with the charge port. It's nice not having to take the batteries out to charge them. I wired a charge port into mine with a receiver plug jack. Totally hack, but makes it so I don't have to take the flimsy door off to charge every time I run and risk breaking it. My first couple of spektrum transmitters had one built in. Not sure why they dropped that.

2017-0204-SpektrumDX3C-ChargePort.jpg

Hello new to the forum here.. A little background before I get to the problem at hand.. I have the savage x with the f4.6 motor its roughly 5yrs old I had purchased it originally as a Christmas gift for my son but he never really took interest in it the truck has been thru less than 1 gallon of fuel in its lifetime before I put it in storage well I came across the truck in storage about a week ago and have found my own interest in it (especially after remembering what I paid for it..lol) and have decided to make it my own hobby so I pulled it out of storage and started the process of bringing it back to life. After getting a new fuel tank and lines and a new glow plug igniter and fuel I thought I would try to start it so using the roto start I attempted to get it to run but the roto start just freely spun it wasn't engaging the motor at all I assumed it was the one way bearing because I remember replacing that before and I still had a few new ones as spares but when I changed the bearing I still had the same issue so I took it back apart and removed the starting shaft it is definitely worn and u can see where the starting pin had jumped out of the groove that its supposed to seat in on the shaft I'm assuming this is what the problem is so I ordered a new starting shaft and, starting pin/pressure spring today... Here's my question is there anything else that could be causing this problem.? Once I receive and install these parts ive basically replaced the whole "Starting" components of the motor so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything else that could be causing the problem
any update? Are you sure your OWB is not filled with oily residue causing it to slip? Sometimes the oil leaks into the back plate and finds its way into the OWB (external ones). Try cleaning it with some WD40 and putting it back.

no update yet clifffff I have been out of town but I have a bunch of parts waiting for me when I get home..lol I will post updates then I didn't bother cleaning too much knowing I was headed out of town I just ordered new parts..lol got a new starter shaft and pin/pressure spring and went ahead and ordered a new crankshaft too.. all waiting on me when I get home

Members online

Back