Savage X spur gear and clutch problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

My son has a Savage X with a Ofna 32 engine and tuned pipe. The only problem we are having is spur gear clutch combo . With the stock nylon spur and a stock 17 tooth clutch bell the spr gear tends to melt somewhere depending on how much spring tension is applied. We also have a metal 52 tooth spur that tends to eat clutch bell gears no matter how I mesh the two up. Is the problem heat or am I missing something else?
Scott

Hi All,

I stripped a couple spur gears. I could not tell if I just stripped them because of mesh or melted them.

I put on a hardened vented CB (15T) and a new spur (49) tooth, I spent alot of time with the mesh. I also put on aluminum clutch shoes (OFNA). I've got 10-15 tanks with this setup and I have not stripped or melted anything.

I tried to cover both possibilities with the vented CB and careful mesh. I shied away from a metal spur, because I figured I would break something more expensive than a 4.00 spur.

Give the vented CB a try!

Cheers,
Leslie

Well any big engine other that stock will melt the plastic gear and metal tranny gears have to be with the hardened CB gear or they will get eaten up. I have seen stock savage x chew up the plastic gear alot. On my truck I have the hardened cb and the metal tranny gear which I have spent alot of money on and used for a few months flawlessly, I recomend that.

if you do think it is melting check to make sure the shoes are not engages at idle, this will cause the bellto heat up and melt the spur

also since the .32 is bigger make sure it is sitting in the engine mounts straight, i had a problem for a while wiht my .26 that the engine was not int he mount straight causing a bad mesh no matter how good the mesh felt. i musta chewed up 20 gears in a week before i figured it out :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back