savage x need spur gear recommendations to minimize wheelies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

hey all today i was bashing the savage x in a nearby field/park. i believe i found my new fav place now. however i ended up melting the plastic stock spur gear. i dint know how tight it was or anything so not sure how that happened, i was playing for 2 tanks pretty aggressive in grass about 6 inches of grass i would say. so now i guess i need a new spur gear or whatever and am looking for recommendations. if possible i would like to find one that will minimize the chance of wheelies because i like my truck to stay planted on the ground. when my tune is running perfectly, it wheelies super easily, so i am hoping to control that with the new spur gear

thanks!

What engine and spur/clutch bell do you have? You mention engine overheating in the long grass, the slipper clutch will also be over worked in the long grass, which probably caused it to fail. If you want to run in long grass then maybe a steel spur and hardened clutch bell. 47/17 is what I run. maybe different clutch shoe springs, thinner ones, which engage earlier, thus reducing rpm. may reduce wheelies.

What engine and spur/clutch bell do you have? You mention engine overheating in the long grass, the slipper clutch will also be over worked in the long grass, which probably caused it to fail. If you want to run in long grass then maybe a steel spur and hardened clutch bell. 47/17 is what I run. maybe different clutch shoe springs, thinner ones, which engage earlier, thus reducing rpm. may reduce wheelies.
thanks for reply! I'm running the stock f4.6 with the stock clutch and spur from hpi. i don't know the count but i think its a 47t with some research, i could be wrong tho. since i burned/stripped my spur gear, I'm probably going to upgrade to a hardened spur with the most teeth i can get and then the smallest clutch bell, i think this counts as gearing down right?

so last week i was getting it to easily wheelie on pavement and the tune was really good, however for some reason this weekend, it wasnt really coming alive and the temps were all over the place, i think i might be getting some type of half tank leak or something. i then took it to the grass for the first time this weekend and it was all over the place as well with the tune, i think my fuel tank is acting up

Here are things to look for overheating problems that haven't been there before. If you haven't checked you gaskets between header pipe and engine block I would replace, will cause overheating. Check rubber gasket between header and pipe that ties are tight, major problems if leaking air. Now on keeping vehicle planted,,, there is so much travel in shocks that I have went from 90mm shock shafts to hpi 70mm shock shafts, almost eliminated flipping over, dam stable noe too. I don't do large jumps.

Could anyone on here get manual for hpi nubz conversion? I got used savage come with nubz. New to rc . Thanks

What is nubz?
HPI had a performance kit that replaced the stock axles with cvd's and stubs with ones like 1/8th buggies have and a set of smaller tires mounted on dish wheels with buggy style beads:
https://www.hpiracing.com/part/87233

Also sold just the wheels/tires:
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/4925

You can download most manuals from hpi, but you need to know what truck it is first. From the original up to the X, they were fairly similar with some upgrades here and there. After the X, things changed quite a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back