Savage X 4.6 OWB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D1GG3R

Hello to all again :)

So having had the savage for a few weeks now..... had loads of fun with it!!
Went through the break in proceedure and all that, then onto the tune...
Oh my goodness, don't these things wheelie :woot:

Anyway, I hit aproblem with the roto stat drill type thing just spinning and then jamming up now and then, obviously not starting the engine.

This forum was my first port of call......... what a place!

After reading a few posts. Eveything was pointing to this One Way Bearing thing.
So off I goes with my tools and manages to get the back plate off the hex start thing at the back of the motor. At this point I was expecting to see this OWB that I have seen numerous pictures of.
To my surprise, it wasn't there??
What I have is this hex nut that slips onto what i think is the starter shaft? This hex nut is held in place by two small grub screws that meet with two flat sides on the starter shaft.
One of these grub screws had come out and was bouncing about behind the starter plate. This is what was causing the roto start to jam up. The hex nut was also just spinning on the shaft, when it wasn't jammed by the grub screw.

Am I right in thinking that my savage doesn't have a OWB? Or am I way off?

What would I need to convert my roto start to a roto start version 2?

Any advice would be great
Thanks
DiGG

probably the OWB is inside the backplate.
the older 4.6 had an actual bearing, but i think they did change that setup to one like LRP has with OWB built right into the backplate and the hex shaft slides throough and it grabs it.
take the WD40 to those bearings inside the plate and blow the motor out and that should clean them

Thanks for that...

Looking at that diagram. My backplate is the 109535.
So no OWB then?

Thanks
DiGG

Can you post up a photo of your starter and whats behind the backplate? Sounds like you have the engine that doesn't have a OWB. The shaft that the grub screw binds on has a ramped slot on the disk inside the engine. There's a spring loaded pin in the crank shaft that basically rubs the back of the disk when it's running, but when your starting, the pin gets caught by the ramped slot, which turns the engine over.

2017-0221-HPI-F4.6Starter.jpg

You can see the spring loaded pin as part 1433. It gets caught in a slot on the back of part# 15136:
15136_15136_01p_314_235.jpg

When the engine is running, it's basically just sliding over the ramp and I would assume eventually wears down the pin, but maybe with the oil in the fuel or whatever, it holds up for a long time. Probably spins that starter cup (the thing with grub screws in it) a bit while running too.

I wonder why more aren't made this way. Totally removes the need for fussy OWB's.

Can you post up a photo of your starter and whats behind the backplate? Sounds like you have the engine that doesn't have a OWB. The shaft that the grub screw binds on has a ramped slot on the disk inside the engine. There's a spring loaded pin in the crank shaft that basically rubs the back of the disk when it's running, but when your starting, the pin gets caught by the ramped slot, which turns the engine over.

2017-0221-HPI-F4.6Starter.jpg

You can see the spring loaded pin as part 1433. It gets caught in a slot on the back of part# 15136:
15136_15136_01p_314_235.jpg

When the engine is running, it's basically just sliding over the ramp and I would assume eventually wears down the pin, but maybe with the oil in the fuel or whatever, it holds up for a long time. Probably spins that starter cup (the thing with grub screws in it) a bit while running too.

I wonder why more aren't made this way. Totally removes the need for fussy OWB's.

Yes that my starter shaft.
I would have taken a photo but I've just put it all back together lol

Thanks for the info
DiGG

Latest posts

Members online

Back