Savage x 3speed transmission problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wysnar

Hey guys I just had a3 speed transmission put in my savage and it now doesn't want to move look at the video and let me know what's wrong if possible

Since it revs freely.. It's clearly not locked up. So.. There's two one way bearings in there I believe, that may be improperly installed. Or the brakes me be locked on, since it does lurch..

Does it roll freely? Engine off?

Lots of potential issues here. Clutch shoes have issues or bell is loose, spur gear pad isn't grabbing or spur isn't tightened down enough, brake issue. Could you take the cover off the truck and post photos of these areas of the truck?

I'll take the lid off the tranny tomorrow morning I removed the spur gear and the pad looked worn so I think that could be it but I'm putting in the Robinson racing spur and clutch bell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    892.8 KB · Views: 14
spring for some alloy clutch shoes also. 1.1 springs will work fine.... and tighten down the slipper nut all the way down tight, and run it, if it hits too hard you can always loosen the slipper nut by 1/4 a turn....

spring for some alloy clutch shoes also. 1.1 springs will work fine.... and tighten down the slipper nut all the way down tight, and run it, if it hits too hard you can always loosen the slipper nut by 1/4 a turn....
Thanks man! Can you send me a link to which would be the best clutch for me to run

I think your clutch is likely to be the culprit in some way however, your clutch may be fine. Try turning the spur gear gear to see if the wheels turn to rule out anything in the transmission. I agree with jam- check the slipper. Also make sure that your flywheel is on right. There are very handy tools out there that hold the clutch shoe posts and leave room for a nut driver to tighten the nut. You may already have one. Channel locks are crude but may work. If one or more of the clutch shoe posts are bent that could make the shoes not operate properly.

Clean that thing and tear it apart, you will find something. Let us know.

I changed the spur and clutch bell and still nothing I tightend the spur gear all the way. It still doesn't want to move but if I lift it off of the floor the wheels spin

When on the ground and the truck is not moving are all 4 of you dog bones spinning, if so check for stripped hexes in the wheels. If they are not spinning check your front and rear drive shafts to see if they are spinning, from there I would look at my drive cups coming of the front and rear drive shafts make sure the pin that hold them in place is still there. You could also have a busted front and rear diff, if you check all that out and all is well I would look at the transmission.

I can see that the dogbones in the center are moving, so it's either the side dogbones, hexes, or the diff

don't know how you can tell that, (like Sgt Schultz I SEE NOTHING !!!!! )

I would have to say check all the drive pins and see if they are missing or broken.... or it is possibly in the diffs, but I think is in the center drives....

<sigh> jam, i'm guessing u mean that u can't tell that the center dogbones are moving? if so, then go to :24 sec. on the vid. as u can see, the hex that the brakes are on are moving. now the pin at the diffs may be bad, but since the dogbones are moving, it's probably not the tranny

good call I guess, but the pins holding on the center drive cups couls also be broken and just catching enough to move those bones, just not enuff to drive the rig with... either way I am thinking the trans is ok also... (WOW FOR ONCE I AM AGREEING WITH THE RESIDENT NUT JOB) :lmao: gotta take my temperature caz I think I am coming down with a bug or something :D

I finally got to take my truck apart and I found the culprit it was the bever gear

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 13
I finally got to take my truck apart and I found the culprit it was the bever gear

Make sure to replace both gears in the case. the ring gear will probably be damaged as well and it is not that much more to do them both.....

So they make a bullet proof diff, do they make a bullet proof pinion toooo?
Anyone ever shot one with a bullet to see if that's true?

So they make a bullet proof diff, do they make a bullet proof pinion toooo?
Anyone ever shot one with a bullet to see if that's true?

UUUMMMM YA !!!!!! :lmao: bullet proof is somewhat of a false claim.... I have seen BP gears that have torn teeth off the ring and pinions also.....

I haven't checked the front but I think the front might be gone too since it wouldn't move the truck

I have a funny feeling you have sheeered some pins off.
Are all the pins the same, eg; would the wheel pins fit in the diff, or U cups?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back