Savage X - 3 Speed Transmission... Nightmare?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtrocityDT

Hey guys... I just bought a used Savage X from a guy in town. Drove it for about 15 minutes and the engine was running strong, but the truck stopped moving. I took it completely apart and it looks like the plastic from the transmission near the drive gear (on the outside of the tranny) melted, and seized the shaft.

It's key to note, that the transmission never once shifted while I was playing around. The owner told me to "warm it up, and it'll shift just fine"... that wasn't the case for me.

I can provide picture as needed, this is my first RC truck, and my first tear down. I know it came stock with a 2 speed w/ reverse, and he converted to a 3 speed.

Is my tranny jacked? Or can I rebuild it...?

pics would be nice, but sounds like your 5 dollar spur gear just went out. happens a lot, no worries. May have to pry it off carefully, either take out motor to get it off or take top of tranny housing off, and pull cluster out and then take it off, not a huge deal. tranny should be good.

Here are some pictures. The damage is on the picture 20170319_091110.jpg. Looks like it never shifted from 1st gear and melted something on the exterior of the tranny block.

Attachments

• 20170319_091110.jpg
    20170319_091110.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170319_091114.jpg
    20170319_091114.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170319_091131.jpg
    20170319_091131.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 15
wow, that's weird, couldntt see well, but looks like maybe the case , if you can clean up the mess and take the rest of the outer pats off. inside tranny looks ok, a better picture of damage would help, just wonder if a bearing seized up, may need a trans outer case and bearings, cheap fix if that's it

wow, that's weird, couldntt see well, but looks like maybe the case , if you can clean up the mess and take the rest of the outer pats off. inside tranny looks ok, a better picture of damage would help, just wonder if a bearing seized up, may need a trans outer case and bearings, cheap fix if that's it

Ya...I used pliers to "break" the seized plastic up. Going to disassemble some more here in a little bit.

The bearing were the spur gear slides onto the shaft my have froze up or been dragging. Causing it to heat up and melt the case. I would take it completely apart and inspect it peace for peace then see what else you find.

The bearing were the spur gear slides onto the shaft my have froze up or been dragging. Causing it to heat up and melt the case. I would take it completely apart and inspect it peace for peace then see what else you find.

Not sure what it's supposed to look like...so not sure how to fix it

Attachments

• 20170319_174806.jpg
    20170319_174806.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170319_174759.jpg
    20170319_174759.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170319_174810.jpg
    20170319_174810.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 8
Yes a transmission case is toast just get a new transmission case they are very cheap if for some reason you can't find one or locate one on eBay let me know I have two or three transmissions laying around I can send you one

Yes a transmission case is toast just get a new transmission case they are very cheap if for some reason you can't find one or locate one on eBay let me know I have two or three transmissions laying around I can send you one
Sweet! Can you send me a picture of what the case should look like? I think i figured out what's wrong... the case has an internal bearing that must have seized.

Yes and it melted the case around the bearing looks like, I saw a new case on ebay just now , cheap I don't have a tranny tore down, but yes you need case and bearings for transmission

Sweet! Can you send me a picture of what the case should look like? I think i figured out what's wrong... the case has an internal bearing that must have seized.

May as well make the upgrade to the newer X style transmission case. much easier to service without total removable being necessary...
And now seems the time to put in new bearings also, @FastEddy sells them reasonable priced.....

There are no 2 speeds that include reverse ( adds weight and is finicky), but I have seen the newer x styles on E bay and amazon.....

If you want reverse you have to purchase an additional "module" it will contain all the parts needed except a servo to actuate it.......

Latest posts

Members online

Back