Savage wont shift into second

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rouskie

Hey guys! This will be my first thread here because i am kind of new to the RC world. i have enjoyed it a lot so far but i am at a dead end and cant figure out why my savage 4.6 wont shift. I got it off of a classifieds site and traded it for a pocket bike i got for $15 and it wasn't running at first but it was just a compression problem and i got it running great! it worked flawlessly for about a week and then mid run the rpms went way up and the speed slowed down. i figured out this was due to the slipper clutch and fixed that issue, but when i took it out again i realized it isn't shifting to second gear. this is just a two speed and i have tried adjusting the timer grub screw on the clutch but it doesn't seem to do anything. i have pulled apart the gear box to see if there was a broken piece but everything seems to be in good shape. if i rev it and hold it on the ground the clutch spur gear doesnt spin so i don't think its a problem with the clutch.... I'm sure a lot of my terms aren't right in this thread because i don't know a ton about these yet but hopefully you get the point! i was just wondering if anyone could help me identify the problem? i have torn the thing apart so i know generally how it works, but if possible make it as simple to understan knowing I'm just an amateur! thanks a ton!

I would check the clutch.

also, be sure that you're adjusting that right grub screw in the tranny. there's 2 of them. one is the adjustment screw, the other keeps the clutch( or shifter) on.

I would check the clutch.

also, be sure that you're adjusting that right grub screw in the tranny. there's 2 of them. one is the adjustment screw, the other keeps the clutch( or shifter) on.
is there any way to tell if its the clutch? would i have to just pull it apart?

is there any way to tell if its the clutch? would i have to just pull it apart?

Do you have a manual for it, there is instructions there to show ya the inner workings of the transmission and how to adjust the shift points

Do you have a manual for it, there is instructions there to show ya the inner workings of the transmission and how to adjust the shift points
Ya I have looked into that and I loosened it quite a bit and still made no difference! Is it possible my clutch shoes are worn?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 31
Could be it is starting out in 2nd gear and you just are not aware of it.... those main clutch shoes look ok from what I see..... I would go back to where you started and try again.....

try turning the adjustment screw the whole way tight, then back it out 2 turns. see if it shifts. if not, then back it out at 1/2 turn increments.

try turning the adjustment screw the whole way tight, then back it out 2 turns. see if it shifts. if not, then back it out at 1/2 turn increments.
Alright thanks a lot for the help btw! Just to clarify do I do 2 full 360 degree turns? If the clutch bell was worn would it stop it from shifting? I've also heard f roughing it up with sandpaper could that help? Also if my slipper clutch pad were worn could that stop it from shifting?

Getting my savage 4.6 to shift is all in my tunning. But yes if it's not getting up to speed it won't shift either. Make a video and or pictures , more info needed. <o ... I didn't see all the above replies lmao... I'd replace flywheel to spur gear , spare parts rule. Last thing I'd do is mess with tranny, process of elimination :) put all tunnings to factory as said, make lock screw Tight and you should be doing wheelies and gripping 2nd no problem.

Last edited:
Alright thanks a lot for the help btw! Just to clarify do I do 2 full 360 degree turns? If the clutch bell was worn would it stop it from shifting? I've also heard f roughing it up with sandpaper could that help? Also if my slipper clutch pad were worn could that stop it from shifting?

yes, 2 full 360 deg. turns.

if the clutch bell, clutch shoes, or slipper pad is worn, it could affect the speed and affect the shifting.

Could just be your slipper was a bit loose and glazed up on you. With it running and warmed up, body off, hold the truck stationary by pressing down on it so the tires really grip the ground, then give it a few quick jabs of gas to see if the spur spins pretty easily without letting the tires turn. If it spins without really hitting WOT, then your slipper has loosened/worn and is probably glazed up. You can pull the spur, clean the slipper ring and slipper pad with DA (denatured alcohol), gently rough up both surfaces with sand paper, then put it back together and set your slipper nut to 1/4 turn from fully compressed spring. Also, use locktite on the slipper nut.

I feel like I have tried everything! I have adjusted the timing screw, checked the clutch, checked the tranny and nothing seems to work! It runs like a champ in first gear but is refusing to shift into second! Any other ideas?

Could be it is starting out in 2nd gear and you just are not aware of it.... those main clutch shoes look ok from what I see..... I would go back to where you started and try again.....

I have to stand by my first recommendation.... although it could also be your tune having something to do with it not shifting right,

Perhaps a vid would add some insight to the diagnosis...

I have to stand by my first recommendation.... although it could also be your tune having something to do with it not shifting right,

Perhaps a vid would add some insight to the diagnosis...
It is wheelying still tho! That would mean it most likely isn't in second right? I will post a video once I fire out how lol.... Is there any way to tell which gear it's running in?

It is wheelying still tho! That would mean it most likely isn't in second right? I will post a video once I fire out how lol.... Is there any way to tell which gear it's running in?

Usually wheelies are an indicator of first gear yes.... to post a video first host it at youtube or somewhere you can share it from and post either the complete vid or a link to its location...... you say you returned the setting to the factory starting point?? it just takes a small turn to affect the shift point, usually less than 1/4 a turn will have a big effect on the shifting point....

K I will post a video ASAP.... I am so confused because everything seems to be in great condition! I have done so many adjustments on the timer screw and it makes zero difference.... Everything is running 100% except it won't shift! I'll upload a video and maybe it could help

Usually wheelies are an indicator of first gear yes.... to post a video first host it at youtube or somewhere you can share it from and post either the complete vid or a link to its location...... you say you returned the setting to the factory starting point?? it just takes a small turn to affect the shift point, usually less than 1/4 a turn will have a big effect on the shifting point....
Well here ya go. I don't k ow if it will help....

UUUUHHHHH not alot of help, it really needs to have a load on the truck to tell, a load being run on the ground to keep from overevving the poor engine....

But your tune does seem to be quite a bit off from optimal running..... try resetting back to factory settings and give it a bit of time running before you start twisting needles again.....

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/the-complete-beginners-guide-to-rcs.814/

Latest posts

Members online

Back