Savage Sskit Or Rtr?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJC

OK guys I'm new to this forum and don't really know where to put this. I don't know how members are going to react to this but here it goes. I'm up in the air with which Savage I should get. I had one in the past and now looking for another. I don't know which I should get. I'm going to buy some upgrades like motor mount, big bore shocks, bearings for steering and so on. I did not know if I could get the roto start back plate to fit the SS kit motor? I'm sure the stock one will fit. I am buying a new radio and receiver soon. 3pm 2.4 so that will not effect my decision. I just don't mind building the Kit just confused as to which one to get? I looked at the site but it's hard to compare the two trucks. Do they have a listing of a side by side comparison of the two? Just wondering guys and need a little help. I asked some what of the same question on the new members portion of this site and I hear that I will be happy with either one. Just throwing it out there.

Since you are getting a 3PM, go with the SS kit. I would also recommend you stay with the pull starter. Roto can be a little hard on the OWB and its also one less thing you have to lug around. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get.

I know I was kinda partial to the roto start. My last savage would go through one way bearings like crazy. I kinda knew when not to keep hitting that button on the roto start. I got good at changing them in record time though LoL. My buddy has a pull start in his truggy and it is so hard to start. Very tight. I don't know you might be right one less thing to carry.

If you are getting the 3PM then go with the SS. You will get to know the truck (which if you have had a savage before I am sure you know it already) but you also get some upgrades. My first savage was RTR but if I ever buy another one it will most likely be a kit.....

bought the ss kit 3 weeks ago upgraded from a 25 rtr love the kit. makes you feel good when you see all the pieces then the finished product. I also bought a bunch of upgrades so I installed them as I went. plus kit is easier to shim the diffs since they are not in the bulks and what not

I bought the rtr version and i regret it. I guess you have quite a pleasant feeling when you complete the assembly, and besides that you get to know every screw in your car. Not to mention that ss comes with some upgrades (dirt bonz tires, tuned pipe)that rtr version doesn't have. Cheers :drunk:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna post pics of my finished rig tonight i finished it on the second day but ordered a bunch of stuff from ebay and waited until i got it all on.

I'm gonna post pics of my finished rig tonight i finished it on the second day but ordered a bunch of stuff from ebay and waited until i got it all on.

What upgrades did you buy? I think I'll go with the kit. Would be nice to upgrade while it's all ready in pieces LoL. I'm not really fond of the pull start, just me. Do you think I should get the hpi big bore shocks or the losi ones?

get an ss kit, sell the part u don't need on ebay, buy what accessoris you need to hook, you can even sell the engine for 110$ and grap an engine of your choice

What upgrades did you buy? I think I'll go with the kit. Would be nice to upgrade while it's all ready in pieces LoL. I'm not really fond of the pull start, just me. Do you think I should get the hpi big bore shocks or the losi ones?

I installed the following

rc raven triple rate springs
steering bearings upgrade from avid rc
wheelie bar
venom on board temp gauge (i know i know just didnt feel like carrying the temp gun...too lazy)
nova aluminum adjustable clutch shoes
mugen 1.0 springs
mugen pilot nut
vented flywheel
spektrum dx2 radio
rpm center skid
new era 125cc fuel tank to get rid of half lean for now
i also bought the ofna 250cc fuel tank to do a mid tank mod with. waiting for my flm servo plate and mounts for that. gonna do it after break in.
I shimmed my diffs, 5k oil in the back and 7k in the front,
went to a plastic 49t sg
and a 16t vented clutch bell. stock comes 17t vented
big boy fuel filter
1500 mah hump pack
ofna linkage setup
Hitec 645mg steering servo

I think thats it for now as far as i can remember. they are some rock solid upgrades to start with. in november I'm gonna upgrade to an lrp z.28 spec 3 mill and a buku
also gonna upgrade my wheels and tires and get a set for on road. that will make me happy

as far as your shocks question the big bores will fit right on the stock towers you will need to get a different mount from new era or innovate rc to mount the lst's they are both good shocks

I love pull starts.

What kinda shims did you put in your diffs? I don't know the size/brand. Could you also tell me what size bearings you used for the steering? Thanks.
I think I'm going to put the three speed in again.

I am sorry i didnt go with the kit. the first time i had to tear down my savage i was a little confused. at least with the kit i would have known my way around the truck a little better. Now its cake
And get your bearings or any other hop ups from smf store while it is still around. fast shipping great customer service and prices are great.

I am sorry i didnt go with the kit. the first time i had to tear down my savage i was a little confused. at least with the kit i would have known my way around the truck a little better. Now its cake
And get your bearings or any other hop ups from smf store while it is still around. fast shipping great customer service and prices are great.

Thanks I'll do that. I hate having that term "what's a glow plug" under my screen name. Makes me look like some kinda jerk LoL.

"whats a glow plug" just means your new to the fourm. the shims come in a package with 8. you will need 2 per outdrive for each diff. 2 on the left and 2 on the right giving you a total of 4 per diff. you wont need the larger shims as noted in the diff shimming 101 thread, nor will you need to shim the spider gears, hpi took care of that with the new x ss model plus you will have alloy diff cups which is great. what you will need is this

1. 5000 and 7000 mugen diff oil
2. some kind of grease cutter/cleaner stripper. i use gumout carb and choke cleaner.
3. diff shims.
4 blue lock tite.

that will do it for ya

get the bearings from avidrc.com. they will come in 3 days and are only $1 a piece. under 10 bucks shipped gets you the steering bearing upgrade

"whats a glow plug" just means your new to the fourm. the shims come in a package with 8. you will need 2 per outdrive for each diff. 2 on the left and 2 on the right giving you a total of 4 per diff. you wont need the larger shims as noted in the diff shimming 101 thread, nor will you need to shim the spider gears, hpi took care of that with the new x ss model plus you will have alloy diff cups which is great. what you will need is this

1. 5000 and 7000 mugen diff oil
2. some kind of grease cutter/cleaner stripper. i use gumout carb and choke cleaner.
3. diff shims.
4 blue lock tite.

that will do it for ya

get the bearings from avidrc.com. they will come in 3 days and are only $1 a piece. under 10 bucks shipped gets you the steering bearing upgrade

HUMMM. Is there a picture of this? I mean I'm not sure of where they go. I'll do a search and find out. I'm sure once I get the kit I'll see where they go.

Ok Ive been away on Vaca. Good decision on the kit! Also the rtr back plate for the roto does not work with the K mill. Two completely different mills nothing interchanges.

Ok Ive been away on Vaca. Good decision on the kit! Also the rtr back plate for the roto does not work with the K mill. Two completely different mills nothing interchanges.

Crap! I was hoping that if I did not like the pull start that I could change it over. I had issues with my skin ripping off my hand with pull starts.LOL

WJC, I just swapped my rotostart for a pullstart on my F4.6 and it's awesome! It turns over so easy and starts right up. No more charging the batter for the rotostart and carrying it around. Best thing I've done so far to the truck other than the hub carrier mod with links courtesy of larsenracing & fxstrongside.:rock:

WJC, I just swapped my rotostart for a pullstart on my F4.6 and it's awesome! It turns over so easy and starts right up. No more charging the batter for the rotostart and carrying it around. Best thing I've done so far to the truck other than the hub carrier mod with links courtesy of larsenracing & fxstrongside.:rock:

OK you guys have talked me into it. I'll keep the pull start. Thanks for the link to the mods.

Crap! I was hoping that if I did not like the pull start that I could change it over. I had issues with my skin ripping off my hand with pull starts.LOL

try loosing the glo plug slightly when you are starting it, untill you get the engine loosened up a bit.

Yes you are correct. I will have to remember that. I guess it wouldn't hurt to heat that baby up with a hair dryer before I start her up.

Members online

Back