Savage SS S-25 Carb. Set-up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Werner

This is driving me crazy!! I'm trying to run in a very old Savage SS S-25 truck using the recommended HPI settings on the carb. The engine starts and runs unevenly but fuel is dripping from the silencer to the point where a full tank is consumed within about 3 mins running! I've checked for leaks in the system, stripped the carb. to check for needle problems and tried many variations from the standard settings without success. Any conclusions?

Hi,

Sounds like the engine running very rich, can you leave the engine running for a minute or so without blipping the throttle?

do you see a lot of ‘blue smoke’, all pointers that the base settings are too rich.

I would start off by leaving the low-speed needle at base settings, then lean the high-speed needle by 1/8 increments at a time so run the car around a few circles, and keep leaning the high-speed 1/8 at a time as long as you see an improvement.

I have found it normal for the base settings to run very rich, just keep tuning it (let the engine warm up first) and then you will get to the point where it’s tuned properly.

I wouldn’t touch the low-speed needle until you have tuned the high speed.

I hope this helps.
Lee

Latest posts

Members online

Back