Savage racing set up, Questions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsenracing

Manufacturer
Hey guys, I just got another savage. Its a 25 and has a FLM Extended LCG chassis with skid plate, Axial .28 Spec1, Wing W/Mount, 15/49 gearing, 2 Speed, X steering servo saver W/Bearings, HS-5645MG Steering servo and some nub tires, Futaba Fasst 2.4 GHz 3pm Radio, Skyline Pipe, LiPo Hump pack.

I am looking for some info for setting this thing up the best it can be as I'm new to racing. Is there anyother parts I need? The main thing I am looking for is help with setup like diff fluid, alignments, ect? here is a pict of the truck from the side.

P1010976.jpg

P1010878.jpg

I know practice, practice, practice but need more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bud I would say that you have the truck depending on what you are racing.

I run the Panther Pythons 40 series on the same rims that you have and love it for the track.

If you are racing off road I would try and get it to sit higher than it is now.

Take it to where you are racing at and run it and see what changes need to be made.

Always have a few different gear combos, I like to have different combos because I race at 3 different tracks and at each track I basically need a different combo.

Hey Larsen. If you are looking to race the savage, the best diff fluid setup I

have found is 10,000 front, 2,000 rear. With this fluid setup, it will track

anywhere you point it, even on the slickest track. Looks like the truck is

setup pretty well for racing. You may want to get some different springs and

play with them on the jumps and in the turns. I found the blue/purple spring

per wheel works best for me on stock shocks in the front. You also may want

to play around on some ramps to see how your suspension is preloading

coming off the ramp. Looks like the way it sitting, it looks like the back would

want to come over pretty quickly.

Like they said it depends on the track. If it's an oval your cool but if you got some big jumps that thing is goona slam hard due to the short stroke and the heavy weight of the savage. My hellfire looks about the same but it's probably 3lbs lighter. When it comes to diff oil it can really make a big difference. The heavier the oil the more locking action it creates in the diff itself due to the viscosity of the oil...faster inside tire speed will tend to push you through a tight turn under acceleration. Just play around with it, what nice is that you can put one weight oil in front and a different one in rear and then swap the diffs front to rear and see what you like better. And other thing get a good brake setup for whipping the rear around. I don't know anything about that pipe but look into the jammin pipes for different track lengths and such or maybe this new buku I'm hearing so much about. You will like racing because it forces you to be better as compared to bashing it's just well...bashing. The most important thing about it is have fun!

I'm definately not a pro as far as racing lol but i would have to agree with everone else it looks pretty race ready to me!! its sitting nice and low for high speed cornering but as was said u might want to think about changing its stance a bit to obtain a little more ground clearance if its gonna be raced on a dirt track, bottoming out during a race could end your day fairly quick!!

P.S........ NICE SETUP BY THE WAY!!!! LOL

From personal experience from racing Dirt Oval that truck would be killer here.

Off-road racing it would get killed most likely the way it is setup right now.

Ya I will need to do some driving and testing of the suspension. I will do some testing with the diff fluids. The 10,000 front and 2,000 rear was about what I was thinking of putting in it. Just another note the truck can be droped from about 30" in the air and just bairly hits the ground, the shocks also seem to dampen pretty well for being stockers.

How much higher are you guys thinking it should sit? When it is just sitting there it settles to about 1 3/4" at the lowest point. I will get some drive time on it tomorrow.

This truck will only be driven on one track more than likely, possably 2. I have many different clutch bells so I can play there.

All right I did some driving it yesterday. The motor seems verry peppy. It will have alot of power for the track atleast for now.

I didn't do any jumping with it but it seems to stiff expecially the last 1/2" of the shock. I think it has 30wt in it, do you guys think I should maybe switch to 25wt. I may also use some more preloads to lift it up a bit.

love the truck! i would say to get it up and running and try it out. there are lots of things you could get but the thing you really need is skill so as you said practice, practice, practice. you could also try and get a perfect tune.#
hope this helps
4x4

I know everyone can be improved as a driver but I feel I am pretty good as I understand the car and how they move very well. I have done quite a bit of racing weather it be snowmobile, go-cart, dirt track modifieds, drag racing, and Auto X racing.

thats so cool larsen as i've competed in quite a few "grass drags" with my artic cat !! lol

Allright I got the suspension so it reacts very well now. As I had thought the shocks were over filled so the suspension got stiff at that bottom. They were filled with 30wt which I have now changed out for Associated 25wt which will be great. The oil that was in them seemed to get very stiff when it was cold and get very soft when they were hot so it wasnt a good oil.

It also sit so the front dogs are level and the rear is just a bit higher than level.

i don't remember larsenracing but are you talking about the stock shock oil getting thick? if so thats because i clued in when emptying mine that its motor oil!! so i did a intense internet search and found out hpi does use motor oil which they claim is equivalent to 20 wt shock oil but think of how thick motor oil gets when its cold!! thats why the silicone shock fluid is great as it doesnt get thick when its cold and it doesnt go runny when its really hot, it stays the same!!

P.S....................... if you were talking about other shocks then i apologize for not knowing what the heck I'm talking about!! lmao

Nitroaddict-These are the stock shocks however I'm sure the previous owner had refilled them, I'm not sure with what it may have been HPI shock oil or it could still be the factory stuff, however they were over filled so some must have been added.

I agree the Silicone shock oil is the bamb as far as keeping its viscosity in temps and so on.

Latest posts

Members online

Back