Savage Racer Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeWX

I currently own a pretty well stock savage 21, aside from a 3 speed hpi transmission and an axial .28 powerplant. I also own a traxxas revo which is set up for racing mostly and it handles much better than the savage. I have aquired a taste for slammed down monster trucks with ming mounts and the extended look. I was hoping that maybe you guys could show me some pointers to make my savage setup to where I could enjoy it alot more.

Things that I would like for sure.

-A wing and durable mount.
-A lowered cog with A arms parallel to the ground similar to how my revo and maxx trucks are set up. (the savage towers and arms I have now offer no adjustability)
-An extended chassis with lowered cog. (I was looking into the FLM extended and lowered TVP's for this one as they are cheap and very reputable.
-Tight and responsive steering with a tighter radius if possible.
-Slammed down body as far as possible.
-Possibly a front mounted fuel tank?

I was looking at spending as little as I could while still upgrading the savage to where it looks nice. I would for sure buy a new body (whatever fits the extended tvp's the best) If anyone has any ideas or links to where I could pick up a solid wing mount for this truck, shock towers or arms that would allow me to set my suspension parallel, and a better steering setup possibly.

I for sure am planning on buying the extended and lowered COG FLM TVP's if I go through with keeping my savage. However I need to find a wing mount that would work and a suspension and steering setup and several other mods. I am looking at spending around $200 max on all of this stuff. I already have alot of rims and tires so that won't be needed.

My current savage setup shown below.

120808_172900.jpg

120808_173000.jpg

Welcome aboard.

Looks like you are off to a great start. A few things to add to your list if you want it to be as close to your revo in handling as you can are: LST2 shocks or similar. The Savage X Cam style Servo saver. Do the steering mod thats in my signature and change the bushings in the steering post to bearings.

You could also get the integy Rear hub carriers which are nice or better yet the HPI Suspension upgrade.

Looks like you have great tires but lower profile ones would make a difference especially with molded foams.

Not sure what you have for a steering servo but the if its the stock one you will definitely want to upgrade that with something more powerful. A great cheap servo is the Hitech 645MG but I tend to go digital always so I tend to run the 5645MG.

Another thing to do is move to a mid tank or something similar to get rid of the notorious half tank lean that most savages tends to have due to poor tank location.

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep all the shocks imo...due a shock mod...limit the amount of travel of the shock with fuel tube inside of the shock it's self...1-1.5" of tube will slam your truck bones level and giv you tons of more stability.

http://www.rcbasher.com/savshockmod.html

this is the hpi suspension kit...TOP NOTCH and must have to race a savage!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220296682577

Here is a link to my "race" build...funny thing is I don't race but was in search for a more stable truck. https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6424

Hope this helps you out in your build!

Last edited by a moderator:
if u would really like a "race" savage one of the best things for shocks is to get some truggy shocks, or proline ones for a tmaxx they will really help on handling. inorder to run shorter shocks u will also need to get some tower that will allow them to be mounted in the right position.

Latest posts

Members online

Back