Savage Octane 3 Speed Transmission Shift Point and the Manual

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Every One

I recently lost the 3rd gear bearing in my Savage Octane 3 Speed Transmission. Luckily for me, my warranty was not expired I was able to get new parts from product support. So I rebuilt the transmission with all new bearings, 2nd gear clutch holder, and 3rd gear clutch holder. I reassembled the transmission and tested out the operation and only found a "no shift" into 2nd or 3rd gear. The 2nd gear and 3rd gear set screws were set directly how the manual (page 48) requires. After adjusting the set screw to 7 turns from fully closed I was able to achieve a 2nd gear shift. And after adjusting the set screw to 6 and 1/4 turns from fully closed I was able to achieve a 3rd gear shift. Now if you were to follow the manual 2nd gear would be adjusted to 4 and 1/4 turns from fully closed. 3rd gear would be adjusted to 4 and 3/4 turns from fully closed. This is what the manual says is a standard position. Also note that the 2nd gear set screw is suppose to be set tighter than 3rd gear which to me makes no sense. Any one with the same problem or noticed the same thing?
Just so we are all on the same page the "tune" on the engine is spot on. I can run through a complete tank a fuel with out shutting down. The truck will easily pull the front tires off the ground and if you can control the throttle just right you can pull wheelies for a good distance. Truck has the stock air filter and exhaust pipe. I am running different tires, but they are close to stock in size and weight.

It's been so long since I've tuned my 3 speed that I don't recall the exact turn count for mine. That being said, keep in mind that the manual's settings are there for base settings only. It is alot like the base settings for an engine. You set it to those recommended base settings and then tune from there.

It sounds to me like you already have things tuned spot on and needed confirmation that the settings were different from the manual. You're good, go bash away!

Latest posts

Members online

Back