Savage k5.9 Cylinder Gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venomtalon

I was cleaning my Savage k5.9 motor and found that I only have one cylinder head gasket in my motor. Is this normal? I see that the the motor or kit comes with two gaskets. I bought my savage used, so I'm not sure if this is correct or not. I was not sure if having both gaskets was an option or not. I assume you could increase compression by removing one.

Also, when reinstalling the gaskets, should you use some sort of gasket sealer? And with the back plate, do you use anything when putting it back together?

you need both of them . silver to silver brass to brass . don't use any sealer at all . its a pain to reinstall them but I change them every month if I use it a lot they do leak . if you are in the high rpms a lot they leak faster .

you need both of them . silver to silver brass to brass . don't use any sealer at all . its a pain to reinstall them but I change them every month if I use it a lot they do leak . if you are in the high rpms a lot they leak faster .

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a gasket set. Maybe that's why I'm having trouble getting her to run right!

I found to that a big issue with the 5.9 it leaks from all over meaning air leaks . a good seal will show a big improvement in performance . just saying lol.. if you don't know what I mean here is a good example for you ..

I found to that a big issue with the 5.9 it leaks from all over meaning air leaks . a good seal will show a big improvement in performance . just saying lol.. if you don't know what I mean here is a good example for you ..

Do you guys recommend any specific sealer for the 5.9? Thanks for all your advice!

I like the copper rtv from the auto parts store. That's what I use on all my engines, can't imagine the 5.9 would be any different.

Hello everyone! Just a quickie: I took apart two of my F4.6 engines, and was wondering if I should throw the copper gaskets away and get new ones, or reheat-cool them and continue to use the ones I have?

Thank you very much!

why would you heat and cool them??? they are copper gaskets and intended to seal the combustion chamber, just reuse them... I think I have done so with zero problems about 100 times with various :ercm: I have.....

The only reason I thought of it was the nature of copper gaskets, that it loses some of its original shape (eg. gets thinner by filling the gap) after extruded. So by reheating and cooling it down quickly I would get back some of its original thickness. That is all. But thank you very much for the info, if the same gaskets served you well, that is enough for me!

Latest posts

Members online

Back