Savage identification help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hankinator

Hey all..long time lurker here..great forum. I just got my first savage and need your help to figure out exactly what model it is as I got it 4th hand and the guy didn’t know. I do not have a picture but I will try to describe the distinguishing details.

It has:
Single mounting hole shock towers
Aluminum TVP’s (not X) aluminum in color too.
No nylon or metal roll bar/handle.
It only has a portion of the electronics box so I can tell from that.
Adjustable but plastic upper control arms.
Rear pick-up gas tank.

Things that would help but are replaced:
Hyper 21 engine
3 speed tranny
Moab tires and 40 series wheels.

What are some other things I could look at to determine?
Is there a list somewhere of all the differences in models?

I can get some pics tonight and update the thread.

Thanks,

Hankinator

The Savage could have started out as a Savage .21 and had the tank, tranny, and upper arms replaced.

All savages pre X were on the same chassis little things changed along the way (such as fuel tank, brake hub, steering assembly, diff gears).

So trying to determine what model it started out being is not that easy espically being 4th hand truck, unless you got the manual, with it.

Sounds like it was a 4.1 or a k4.6 with the adjustable a-arms and aluminum roll bar.

The engine was probably replaced for some reason or another.

The rear tank sounds like an add-on mod of some kind.

Pics could help some.
Like JT said, can't really be sure until inspection.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has:
Single mounting hole shock towers
Aluminum TVP’s (not X) aluminum in color too.
No nylon or metal roll bar/handle.
It only has a portion of the electronics box so I can tell from that.
Adjustable but plastic upper control arms.
Rear pick-up gas tank.

rear pick up tank is the normal one now, the first savage with the primer had a pick up in the front of the tank I do believe.

Most likly could have started out being a savage .25, savage ltd, or a sagage 4.6 or SS model if the steering or diffs haven't been touched it??(big if) that would tell you if it was a .21 or a early .25 model. Being as you said its is a 4th hand truck would lead me to believe it is an early version truck though.

Thanks guys....here are some pics. https://www.hpisavageforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=2278&cat=500
I am thinking it may be an SS without the roll bar. (The body has some SS stickers on it and it looks like the same pipe in the SS manual on HPI)

Are there any "manditory" upgrades for weak parts that I need to do?

This thing runs sweet...did I mention this rig cost me $100 less radio?...right place ate the right time.

Thanks,

Hankinator

After seeing the pics that is a hotbodies truckzilla chassis (TVP) which means it is extended 1" over stock, also that is a HPI ribbed pipe that was not a standard part on any savage, the radio box is old style and you got a good deal for 100 bucks.

you get the hpi ribbed pipe on the first savage ss as stock thats how mine came!
4x4

good find. The 25 came with 2 bevel gear diffs and had the 4 gear upgrade included. The tank is off of a 25, had 2 speed with no reverse, had a metal roll bar, 14mm hexes, stock black dogbones, 1 disk brakes, and thats all that I can think of for now.

you get the hpi ribbed pipe on the first savage ss as stock thats how mine came!
4x4

it was a ss 25 doob that came with a ribbed pipe.
4x4

Thanks 4x4,
I had forgotten about the first Savage SS .25, it did come with a ribbed pipe, sorry for my misinformation in my eariler post.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back