Savage Gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZmtnSVG

Hola Comrades.

New to the forum, new to the savage octane, but not new to rc, or to engines (love me some smell of 2-stroke).

Question for all you savagely experienced folk out there in regards to re-gearing. I want to gear way down on the low-end (crawling status), but keep a quick transfer to second and maintain high-end speed in third gear (i.e. best of both worlds). What gearing setup do ya'all recommend? All thoughts are welcome.

Many thanks,
Mountain Savage

I don't think you can't have 3 different "gear setups" on each gear... lol... it's either crawl or fast I'm assuming.....

the hpi savage is not a crawler. it's a monster truck that is meant to go fast. u can change the overall gear to have more tough and less speed( and vice versa) but only slightly. I'm not aware of different spline counts for the internal gears in the tranny. that's simpley because there is no way to ajust the gear mesh. if u go even 1 spline more or less, the mess will be off. the only adjustment u can make is in the clutch/spur, and again, not a huge difference.

Nutjob is mostly correct. There are a few gear changes that are possible in the transmission. The most popular is for the 3 speed, it gives you a little more top end. So if you gear down a tad on the spur and clutch bell and change out for the high speed gear set you might get an overall broader power band. I've enjoyed it.

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/77065

The key though is as nutjob said, there isn't really crawling gear sets out there. If you do want a savage crawler an electric would be a better choice as you have better control over how the power is applied.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back