Savage gearing questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topdoggracer

Still new to the rc world. I have done some research and it says everywhere I look that the 25 needs a 49T spur gear. I got a few 52T with truck is that going to make much if any difference? 2nd is it normal for truck to quit running after gas tank is half full?

It doesn't "need" a 49T spur, I think it just comes that way from the factory. Less teeth on the spur means more speed/less torque, more teeth on the spur means less speed/more torque. Odds are, with a 54T spur, your going to hit top speed really quickly. Most people gear the truck so that they aren't overworking the engine, but also getting as much speed out of it without causing temp/clutch issues.

The savage is well known for what is called "half tank lean" or HTL for short. The tank is a weird shape and as it empties, the tune automatically gets leaner as there is less fuel pushing down in the tank to force it to the engine. Most people tune for good performance at the 1/2 tank point and live with it being a bit rich when full and a bit lean when near empty.

As to why it shut off on you, it could be related to the HTL and your tune.

Latest posts

Members online

Back