Savage Fuel Tank.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessdublin

My fuel tank must be over 15 yrs old & was thinking what’s the best method to check air tightness of it & original o ring on filler cap, could I simply blow up fuel delivery pipe back upto fuel tank to check tightness?

You need to compare it to a reference, unless you have strange tuning issues its probably fine, blowing will only show a significant leak. Not seen a bad o ring due to age yet, the oldest i have is also about 15 years.

Take the tank off and leave the lines on it. Submerge the tank in a bucket of water while holding the lines above the water. Plug the fuel line and blow into the pressure line. If bubbles come up you got a leak. If not, you're good to go

Thanks for input/info guys!
That’s what’s making me think I have a air leak problem as have now done 4 tanks of fuel through my new Hong Nor Force .28 engine & in back of my mind something is not right with running of engine. Last time I ran it the clutch gave away thinking a spring had come a drift in my Fironi clutch set up, but turned out to be i had fitted f/wheel nut the wrong way round & it came undone.
Have given my original tuned pipe agood clean out with brake fluid tonight which did shift some crud & found some crud build up in the air pressure nipple on exhaust which suspect was not helping things!

New engines cam sometimes be a pain during break in.

If you have another 'good' engine then try the tank with it to compare.

Yes was using my old FTX .26 Picco engine before which was okay but not great hence why I decided to go down new engine route!
Will give it another go now I have clutch sorted & see what that brings just don’t want to annoy neighbours to much as I live in cul-de-suc & cant drive to park with current Government guidelines in force!

Members online

Back