Savage Flux Xl: front dogbones coming out sometimes when steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piccions93

Hi guys, i've got a problem with my Savage.. Front dogbones sometime come out from the wheels shaft when i turn left/right and cause my car stupid crashes. The dogbones are not bended, i think the problem is that they're a little short. What can i do to fix this? I ordered some CVD driveshafts but meanwhile what can i do for this? I've putted a piece of heatshrink in the differential shaft but after a while they get lost. Do you have any idea? Thank you!

A quick fix is to put a spacer of same thickness on both ends of cups. I have done a quick fix of trimming down fuel line and sticking in both cups keeping dog bone centered . Until a correct fit of right length cups are found

Good idea! I was thinking on reusing the heatshrink but this time with glue. The idea is to glue the heatshrink on the differential shaft, leaving the wheel shaft free. The dogbone doesn't need to be pushed too much in the differential side. Much more important to be pushed in on the wheel side, don't you think?

That's sure, but the problem is for the too much free movement of the dogbone.. I've tried the fuel line option. The dogbone can still move but less than before.

Never had this problem in a Savage. Is everything stock parts? Are the diff and axle cups badly worn? How much play is there?

The axle cup is a bit worn because of this issue. Anyway, it is not deformed. I've tried to change the cup with the rear one and it happened anyway.. I've tried to reduce the servo range of motion, too. But i donvt know why, with range reduced the servo seems to have less power.

Do you have o-rings in the diff cups? There should be o-rings in the output cups on the diffs. WIthout them, the bones wander too much.

I used these as they were a bit thicker than the HPI ones:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-x-Nitri...-Seal-Washer-5mm-x-11mm-x-3mm-N3/122116129541
5x11x3mm
2018-0717-SavageCupO-Rings.jpg

I tried using fuel line, but it's so soft that it just crumbles up and falls apart, so the effort isn't worth it. Using good nitrile o-rings seems to work well though.

So i guess that you had the same problem, don't you? I ordered 4 cvd driveshaft, too. I'll use 2 only in the front side, the rear side has not this problem. The remaining 2 will be used for spare parts.

I'm not sure it will work the same with cvd's as the bone doesn't float, it's fixed at the hub. With dog bones, the bone floats between the cups.

And yeah, I had that issue too. :)

I run the super HD bones/cups on both of my savage's (X and flux hp) with those o-rings I posted above and I haven't had much issue with the bones popping out since.

With CVDs the problem is not present because like you said the bone is fixed to the hub, so it doesn't move. It cannot escape from the hub. But meanwhile i want to fix the problem with the original dogbones. It's a challenge for me, i have to win :p

if your upper a arms are adjustable, you can shorten those, and tow it in at the top of the tires a little bit and maybe makeup for a little space. I've never seen this happen with stock dog bones and heavy duty drive cups.but like everybody said on other vehicles I've had to use o rings or fuel line spacers on both ends of the dog bones to make up the slack.

Hey,

I just created an account to hopefully help you with this.
a friend of mine recently purchased a Savage XL flux and within seconds of driving it had the same issue as you are having (terrible dog bone knocking and coming out on full lock). He shimmed it all as previously mentioned on here and it worked great. After a few runs and a dodgy landing one of the dog bones snapped.
he ordered a set of Savage XL flux dog bones and arrived and the T to T size was identical but the actually ball (sorry I don’t know all the proper terms) is actually bigger so makes the dog bones 3mm bigger (can’t remember if that was 3mm each end or 3mm total) from tip to tip. Turns out the ones he had it in were savage X dog bones not XL ones which was the first thing he checked but as the T to T measurement was the same, or very very close we didn’t suspect that the actual ball would be bigger and make that much difference!
new dog bones fitted and it works perfect with no shimming needed! Might be worth checking that it hasn’t had work done to it and perhaps put the wrong ones in. If there is play in the cups once the dog bones are pushed in then chances are they aren’t the ones for the XL as the new original ones fit in super flush with no wiggle and the old incorrect ones had lots of play.

I hope this helps!A2ECD8D9-BA32-431E-B5E2-30C694D16C97.jpeg55C2CAA8-02C9-4A74-A244-6FD154429E9B.jpeg

Hi, can you report the lenght of the dogbones and the diameters of the ball?
Unfortunately I cannot as the car isn’t mine and it’s all back together now with a friend but a simple way to check if you have the wrong dog bones is as I said at the end of the last message, push them into the cups and if they have abit of play they are the wrong ones. They should slide in and be pretty well seated in the cups with no room to wiggle them, let me know how you get on! As far as I am aware only the XL flux and the Octane models have the larger cups and require the larger dog bone ball thingys so very likely someone have lost or broken one in the past and replaced it for one which wasn’t for the XL

I have not used this model so much, but i can say that the first times i had no issue. I only destroyed the rear differential.

I have not used this model so much, but i can say that the first times i had no issue. I only destroyed the rear differential.
Okay I just spoke to my friend and it’s 123mm shaft from T to T with no taper (some taper near the end) and a 11mm diameter ball where the ones he took out were 7mm

Flux models and XL 5.9 use 11mm ball and rest 9mm ball, all 123mm length.
That’s the comment I was hoping for from someone who probably knows a lot more than me!

So if standard is 9mm and the others is 11mm putting the standard in an XL flux would fit but have 4mm of play which could lead to jumping or popping out like what happened to my mates we have been working on

Thank you guys, i'll measure the length and the diameter of my dogbones!

Hi guys! I'm going to try another system for this problem, the welding! I'll show you my idea, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20200511_110811.jpg
    IMG_20200511_110811.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200511_110821.jpg
    IMG_20200511_110821.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 16
Will probably work, but heating it enough to weld it likely took some of the hardness out of the steel, so it may wear more on you now.

Damn, I have to modify this. The bone cannot move in it's full range of motion, so when it blocks, the lower arm is pulled up. Can't use it. I'll try another way.

Hi guys, i've installed the CVD and they work fine, just used for 10 minutes, then the front diff screw shaft (item 86095) got lost, so i didn't continue to run. I have to order a set of screws. Do you have some ideas to avoid that screws loosening? I was thinking to use some heatshrink and put it around the differential cup, in order to keep the screw in place. Any better ideas? Sorry for the english but i'm from Italy :p

Latest posts

Members online

Back