Savage diff slipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fstndt

Hello i found out my savage rear diff is slipping (a bit). I can definetely see that both the differential teeth and the teeth of the small gear thats spinning it are in very good state. So whats wrong?

Is your savage brushless or nitro? On the savage line you have three different types of diff gears, Sintered, Forged and Machined, which ones do you have? If the gears are slipping it is because the mesh is incorrect, for a proper mesh the gears need to have as little slack as possible and run free and smooth at the same time, to achieve that you need to use the recommended washers - Z877 and Z892 to adjust the mesh.

Is your savage brushless or nitro? On the savage line you have three different types of diff gears, Sintered, Forged and Machined, which ones do you have? If the gears are slipping it is because the mesh is incorrect, for a proper mesh the gears need to have as little slack as possible and run free and smooth at the same time, to achieve that you need to use the recommended washers - Z877 and Z892 to adjust the mesh.
Hey thanks, i just took out the diff and found out that both B085 and B032 bearings have exploded:Screenshot_20230403_154036_Samsung Notes.jpgis this normal? It's pretty strange that both of them failed. (It is a old savage 4.6) 16805293559338797056994954438615.jpg(the small bearing balls fell out already)

Hey thanks, i just took out the diff and found out that both B085 and B032 bearings have exploded:View attachment 11356is this normal? It's pretty strange that both of them failed. (It is a old savage 4.6) View attachment 11357(the small bearing balls fell out already)
Mostly normal, those gears and bearings are under some serious loads, a good quality bearing set will last quite awhile, and may I suggest if one bearing is bad then the other will not be far behind... use good quality grease inside both differentials or if you want to mess with silicone oils you can do that also, and an upgrade to the machined 9/29 gears will help with the loads and resist damage better that the sintered gears will. as always have fun with the rig....

Jam 1 pretty much said it all, also the B032 bearings are mechanically weaker than the B085 ones, so you can expect those to get destroyed quicker, when I have to service my diffs for any reason, I always put new bearings on them to prevent that

Jam 1 pretty much said it all, also the B032 bearings are mechanically weaker than the B085 ones, so you can expect those to get destroyed quicker, when I have to service my diffs for any reason, I always put new bearings on them to prevent that
Is it possible to put b085 bearings in the place of b032? I want to take the bearings out of the diff but i locked the 4 screws really tight last time (yes it was my first nitro) and luckily i got all of them out, but the gear is soo hard to the casing that i just cant get it out

Mostly normal, those gears and bearings are under some serious loads, a good quality bearing set will last quite awhile, and may I suggest if one bearing is bad then the other will not be far behind... use good quality grease inside both differentials or if you want to mess with silicone oils you can do that also, and an upgrade to the machined 9/29 gears will help with the loads and resist damage better that the sintered gears will. as always have fun with the rig....
Atleast ive had a awesome time breaking those bearings😂 i oiled the diff very good last time... with wd40. Now i will use the absima 236 oil (if i ever succes in disassembling that diff)
edit: its the savage of my profile picture, the first nitro i ever had.
Another edit: yeah i got the gear off the casing, tomorrow i will zontinue because it's 21:28 for me

Last edited:
Is it possible to put b085 bearings in the place of b032? I want to take the bearings out of the diff but i locked the 4 screws really tight last time (yes it was my first nitro) and luckily i got all of them out, but the gear is soo hard to the casing that i just cant get it out

Atleast ive had a awesome time breaking those bearings😂 i oiled the diff very good last time... with wd40. Now i will use the absima 236 oil (if i ever succes in disassembling that diff)
edit: its the savage of my profile picture, the first nitro i ever had.
short answer is no those bearings are different sizes, just buy a decent bearing kit from Fast Eddy or elsewhere, as for oiling the diff with wd40 it is not the best lube to use, I packed my diff internals with Red and Tacky grease and still using the 43/13 gears, I did upgrade to the alloy diff cups to help keep things aligned well inside the case... to get the ring gear off it may take a bit of tapping the gear lightly to get it off the case. Good Luck with the rebuilding....

WD40 as diff oil?
Michael-scott-The-Office-Steve-Carell-750x400.jpg
Not the best option at all...

Get some heavy lithium grease or diff oil, I recommend at least 200k for the oil, also if you want to use oil you need to make sure the o-rings are in good shape, otherwise the oil might leak... as for the input/crown diff gears you should use grease. Heat those screws with a blowtorch, this way will be easier to take them out. When it comes to diffs you can't be negligent or rush the process, take your time, use the best spare parts, a good oil/grease, shim the gears properly and so on... otherwise you will spend more time dealing with diffs than having fun with your truck 👍

WD40 as diff oil?
View attachment 11358
Not the best option at all...

Get some heavy lithium grease or diff oil, I recommend at least 200k for the oil, also if you want to use oil you need to make sure the o-rings are in good shape, otherwise the oil might leak... as for the input/crown diff gears you should use grease. Heat those screws with a blowtorch, this way will be easier to take them out. When it comes to diffs you can't be negligent or rush the process, take your time, use the best spare parts, a good oil/grease, shim the gears properly and so on... otherwise you will spend more time dealing with diffs than having fun with your truck 👍
Currently I'm here20230404_183205.jpg20230404_183158.jpg20230404_183141.jpg
I don't have the bearings yet, so I might just keep it like this or assemble it without them and oil.Screenshot_20230403_193337_Samsung Notes.jpgi am actually not sure which of my washers are Z877 and Z892. the original Z260 pin broke, but i think i will be able to replace it with the pin that holds the wheel hub (my wheel fell off about 2 months ago so i had to buy a wheelhub set😂) both pins have the number Z260 tho

Attachments

• 20230404_183158.jpg
    20230404_183158.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 1
Currently I'm hereView attachment 11360View attachment 11361View attachment 11362
I don't have the bearings yet, so I might just keep it like this or assemble it without them and oil.View attachment 11363i am actually not sure which of my washers are Z877 and Z892. the original Z260 pin broke, but i think i will be able to replace it with the pin that holds the wheel hub (my wheel fell off about 2 months ago so i had to buy a wheelhub set😂) both pins have the number Z260 tho
What do you mean by "assemble it without them and oil"?? Well, if you look closely at the washers, you'll be able to see the bigger one will fit the diff cup side... by the way, get more washers, I don't think those will be enough... Check this video, here he explains how to properly mesh the gears using the washers:

Latest posts

Members online

Back